Author Topic: Water cooling conversion  (Read 5085 times)

nevadanotch

• View Profile
Water cooling conversion
« on: April 30, 2009, 02:20:55 AM »
I am contemplating a water cooled head (Rands) for my Odyssey.  
I see the head is easy to get but what is everyone using for a radiator?  What about the water pump?  Am I correct in seeing systems without water pumps?
What about an overflow bottle?

I don't see a write up (thread) about installations.  Can ya hook a brother up?

Thanks, Rand
High Speed Soil Sampler!

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Water cooling conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 07:46:09 AM »
A lot of people use a quad radiator off ebay. It seems a lt 250 fit well. My 350 didn't have a water pump, it used thermo syphon (sp), hot water rises, method to circulate the coolant. Some have said a water pump cools too much, not allowing the engine to get to operating temperature.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

nevadanotch

• View Profile
Water cooling conversion
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »
If you are using the thermo siphon method, do you have to use a check valve in line?
High Speed Soil Sampler!

nuke em

• View Profile
Water cooling conversion
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:22:50 PM »
Running a liquid cooling system will help control the 350s inherent overheating issues. I run a CX500 cycle radiator without a pump on one of my 350s for several years and have not had a seizure since. My buddy ran the same set-up but has one stuck piston, but we think that his wide open jetting was off.

I also run a pump on my 420cc/350 connected to a switch so I can turn it on after warm-up and let it keep pumping for a good cool down after riding. The pumps are made by Bosch for heaters on European sedans like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

I add a cheap automotive dial gauge to monitor water temps at all times.

More questions or want more pics, just ask.

Gary

nevadanotch

• View Profile
Water cooling conversion
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 04:47:17 PM »
Thanks for the pics and advice.  If I do the mod I will more than likely go with the water pump.

Since we are on the subject of cooling, I was looking into cooling fan modifications.  I have seen large diameter cooling fans placed over the top of the motor in order to get greater air flow across the head.   Has anyone done any testing with a temperature gauge to see if this is a beneficial modification?  For the most part I will be riding trails and the occasional sand dune.

Rand
High Speed Soil Sampler!

nuke em

• View Profile
Water cooling conversion
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
I have not seen any large fan setups. I do have a picture of a small twin fan setup from way back in the day, late 90s I believe. I do not remember if it worked well or not but would guess that it is not as good as water cooling but better than nothing else. What kind of temps do you ride in mostly?

Gary

nevadanotch

• View Profile
Water cooling conversion
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
I am riding in the upper desert of Nevada, Carson City and surrounding areas.  Riding temperatures range anywhere from 40 degrees to around 95 degrees.  As far as normal trail riding I'm not too concerned with the temperature.  We move along at a decent pace of about 25 mph and I don't put that much of a load on the motor when trail riding.  It's when I go play in the dunes at Sand Mountain that I might push the motor trying to get up some of the larger dunes.

As far as fan setups, check out the old RamJet setup from his Odyssey and Pilot World web site http://www.efadgroup.com/Odyssey%20World/ramair.htm

It shows a nicely put together fan set up over the top of the head.  Fan looks like it might be a bit too small but this is the idea I was thinking about.

Rand
High Speed Soil Sampler!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fan
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:58:29 PM »
Quote from: "nevadanotch"
I am riding in the upper desert of Nevada, Carson City and surrounding areas.  Riding temperatures range anywhere from 40 degrees to around 95 degrees.  As far as normal trail riding I'm not too concerned with the temperature.  We move along at a decent pace of about 25 mph and I don't put that much of a load on the motor when trail riding.  It's when I go play in the dunes at Sand Mountain that I might push the motor trying to get up some of the larger dunes.

As far as fan setups, check out the old RamJet setup from his Odyssey and Pilot World web site http://www.efadgroup.com/Odyssey%20World/ramair.htm

It shows a nicely put together fan set up over the top of the head.  Fan looks like it might be a bit too small but this is the idea I was thinking about.

I did the very thing a couple years ago with a fan from a ninja motorcycle....Bought it on e-bay for like $12...Ran it in HOT temps for an entire summer and had no heating problems....I wired it direct to the battery and put a toggle on it so I could leave it running after shutting the engine off to help cooling.......As for being large enough, you would be surprised at the amount of air they move...They turn very fast,and they have a steep pitch on the blades.....They move plenty of air to do the job....
Hoodlum

Rand

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: fan
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:59:39 PM »
Quote from: Hoodlum
Quote from: nevadanotch

rand quote/quote

I did the very thing a couple years ago with a fan from a ninja motorcycle....Bought it on e-bay for like $12...Ran it in HOT temps for an entire summer and had no heating problems....I wired it direct to the battery and put a toggle on it so I could leave it running after shutting the engine off to help cooling.......As for being large enough, you would be surprised at the amount of air they move...They turn very fast,and they have a steep pitch on the blades.....They move plenty of air to do the job....
Hoodlum

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: fan
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 07:00:34 PM »
Hoodlum[/quote]

nevadanotch

• View Profile
Water cooling conversion
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »
Just curious why the casual riding crowd has not adopted this method of cooling versus the water cooled head.  Seems a whole lot cheaper and as Ramjet mentioned, There's something uneasy about having a tank full of hot water sloshing behind your head.

Rand
High Speed Soil Sampler!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fan
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:56 PM »
Quote from: "nevadanotch"
Just curious why the casual riding crowd has not adopted this method of cooling versus the water cooled head.  Seems a whole lot cheaper and as Ramjet mentioned, There's something uneasy about having a tank full of hot water sloshing behind your head.

Rand

Well, it doesn't cool as well as liquid, but it works...There are probably instances where liquid cooled could save you where a fan wouldn't,especially if you run on the edge with the jetting,but in most instances, the fan will work...Just make sure you're not too lean, and you should be fine with a fan......Just remember,even with liquid cooled, it's still not heat proof...With the liquid, only the head is cooled, not the entire cylinder,so you can still sieze one even with liquid....I think it could probably help with detonation issues in higher compression machines more than a fan would, just by keeping the head cooler....
Hoodlum