Author Topic: I picked up another project  (Read 2024 times)

nuke em

• View Profile
I picked up another project
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:03:51 PM »
I picked up another $200 project today from the local cycle salvage yard today. I have not has a Kawi trike since the pair of 84 Tecates I had back in the day, bad ass trikes too by the way. The new one is a black 1982 KLT 250 4 stroker(not running...yet). It is VERY clean, came with several spare electrical parts(2 coils, 2 CDIs, harness parts, coils wire and boot, etc.), manuals and a title. So, I ASSUME it is having electrical probs. It is spitting snow so I will have to wait to start wrenching. The seat is soft and pliable, paint is clean and mostly intact, hardware is not rusty, so I guess it spent most of its life in a warm garage. Stickers are peeling some or slightly fading is about the worst of it, other than not running. What do you think, decent buy?

Gary

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »
I'd say it was a good buy, but isn't it just a little small to haul an elk around on?

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »
LOL, Not if you make multiple trips! ie more ride time, got to look at the positives man. :lol:   Got a fresh batch of elk jerky waiting to be dehydrated in the fridge, need a fix?

Gary

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »
I can always use a fix jerky fix.

As far as the bike goes, since its an early 80's machine does it still run with points? I see that it is electric start, that's a bonus, plus it still has the racks. It shouldn't take too much to turn that think into a nice runner!

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:25:29 AM »
They said it would not start and thought the fuel pump may be bad. It came with 2 coils, 2 CDIs, plug wire and boot, a piece of wiring harness with several connectors, etc  so I am ASSUMING that it has an electrical issue. The battery is dead and it has no kick start so before I can even test for spark, need to get another batt.  I have been researching info on 3wheelerworld.com and they definitely are prone to electrical probs, especially the CDIs.

The 82 RM125 project cylinder should be bored and ready for pickup today. I need to get some pics posted for you.

Gary

aas5f6

• View Profile
Deals
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »
How do you guys find all these deals?  I am constantly searching for cheap projects (I'm a college student).

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »
I'm a college student

The above explains it all. You haven't been around long enough to find the "deals"

I say "deal" because they usually take up more time and money that we have or need to spend on something.