Author Topic: Seat Options for FL350  (Read 10046 times)

ed43082

• View Profile
Seat Options for FL350
« on: September 11, 2006, 09:23:45 PM »
I am looking for ideas on a replacement seat for my FL350.

I changed my seat to a Kirkley and 5 point harness. However, during my July 4th ride, I developed an area by my tailbone that caused me to end up having surgery. Being a quadriplegic, I have been unable to work and in bed for the last 2 months healing. I've got another month to go.

This was aggrevated from me "shearing" back in forth in the seat while riding over bumps. Even though I installed the 5 point harness I still have some movement while riding.

Now, how do I solve this so I can ride again without having this problem develop again? I think maybe:

1. replace the cloth/mesh seat cover with a vinel one to lesson the "shearing"

2. add some sort of jell to the bottom of the seat to give it more of a fluid ride in the seat and lessen the vibrations

3. replace the seat again with some sort of suspension seat.

Any ideas?

Creation

• View Profile
Seat Options for FL350
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:37:08 PM »
I supported my FL250 seat with layers of that mattress foam and on the bottom made a plate with springs that made even a 5ft drop feel like a lil bump.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Seat Options for FL350
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:52:35 PM »
Definitely go with the suspension seat.

Beard is one of the bigger names.  There are some others out there, but alas, their names elude me at the moment...  :?
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Seat
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 09:15:10 AM »
I have a Racecraft and love it....Many styles, colors, and coverings to choose from at a good price..
A mounting frame and shield are yours to fabricate, but nothing too hard to acomplish...
Hoodlum

atvnut

• View Profile
Seat Options for FL350
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 01:44:41 PM »
I am a t9-10 paraplegic and I use the Super Seat by corbeau  A suspension seat is the way to go  I think you would be better to use a mastercraft as they have higher sides to help support you. http://www.mastercraftseats.com/prod-proseat-cardinal.shtml  I talked to Jim Conner Racing and he said that Mastercraft will build you a custom seat. I dont know your financial situation but it isnt going to be cheap. In our case though we cant afford to not have the best.
Thank you
"The Nut"

3odystrong

Seat Options for FL350
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 09:11:53 PM »
Is there anyway you can put a jell pad from your chair in -on top of the existing seat you have-my friends mother is  wheelchair bound and they have a wheelcahir "seat pad" that is jell filled for her underside, to prevent "sores" associated with the lack of movement, etc.Is that an option?I can if needed take a picture of her pad that they currently use for you so mabye you can determine/call the manufacturer of it -if you need it just ask!

ed43082

• View Profile
Seat Options for FL350
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »
The BAJA SS suspention seat from Corbeau looks good. They have a dealer here in Columbus too. Think I'll take a look.

I looked at Beard, Racecraft, and Mastercraft web sites too. They all look basically the same.

I have been in a wheelchair for 15 years. I sit on the best seat pad called a Roho which is an air filled pad. I don't want to use this type because it would be easy to puncture with a foreign object such as a small stick or piece of gravel. However, Jay Cushion makes a jell filled cushion with whale fat filling that forms to your butt when sat on and moves with you. I talked with my DME provider and he says no problem to make a seat insert out of this jell for my seat.

I want to trade out my rigid Kirkley for a suspension seat and line the seating are with this jell to sit on for added protection. I'll get the seat in all vinyl to reduce any unnessary friction that might  occur while riding.

Sound good?

atvnut

• View Profile
Seat Options for FL350
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 12:01:35 AM »
sounds good ed but I know they all look the same but you might wanna look a little deeper at the side bolsters you want them as high as possible for support I sat in a very nice mastercraft it was very stabile seating just my 2 cents
Thank you
"The Nut"

ed43082

• View Profile
Seat Options for FL350
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 04:43:37 PM »
Did anyone have to do anything special besides make a mount for their suspension seat?

I called ATV Racing and he said the Pilot kit was just a standard Beard Super Seat and he modified the headrest and the tabs. Plus it's a weld in kit. I just want to bolt the seat in without any frame welding.

I called Redart to order a Beard and he said the seat won't fit and ATV Racing did all their modifications to fit the seat in a Pilot.

I measure 14 1/2 inches between the front mounts and 15 3/4 inches between the back mounts on the Pilot so not an issue making a seat mount for any seat I've looked at so far.

The overall length of most seats is 26 inches. Looks to be tight but I think the seat would fit. The Mastercraft site says their seat is 28 inches overall length and I don't see any way to fit that seat in the space.

I am going to Akron Ohio to see a Beard and a Race Trim brand seat on Friday. They said they had them in stock.

Is there something I should know before I make the 2 hr trip? Do I need the ATV Racing seat kit for the suspension seat to fit in a Pilot?

My other option is the Corbeau Baja SS which looks to be 21 inches overall length.

Thanks.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
seats
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 06:15:49 PM »
You probably needed a narrower Kirkey. They have them for different hip widths. I would try adding additional padding under the cover between you and the side bolsters to get it so you just fit. You could just stuff it in there to test then have it sewn to the cover after if it feels right.

The ATVR setup for the beard puts the seat lower in the frame. CW had a bolt in kit, but it raised you up. I went with the Kirkey in mine because no welding was required, but it did not move me up.

atvnut

• View Profile
CW racing
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »
try CW racing at 408-371-0644 and leave a message he will get back with ya I have his bolt in kit in my pilot and I am 6'5
Thank you
"The Nut"

ed43082

• View Profile
Seat Options for FL350
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 12:10:25 AM »
There is no room in the Kirkley I have to add any padding on the sides. It fits snug on my hips now. Extra padding on the bottom is an option but I really like the idea if having the seat move with me like on a suspension seat so I don't get that bottoming out effect. Especially since my muscle have atrophied in my gluteus maximus because of the parallysis.

Because I can't stiffen my legs to brace myself, I believe I was getting a small amount of sheering action in the forward/backward motion. Not side to side. Then with the tweed seat cover on the Kirkley it caused the friction and irritated the area.

I do think the suspension seat is my best option. I have no problem making a custom mount.  I already have a design on paper to make it where it will tilt even to make easy access to the oil fill. I just need to find the one seat that will fit the best in the space. I'll keep you posted with what I come up with.

I will call CW and also go look at the ones in Akron.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
seat
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 02:45:49 AM »
Here are some pics of the Racecraft I mentioned earlier in the post....It was the narrowest I could find..It is called the "Slimline"...Fits without emergency brake or shifter rubbing, and it's very comfy...I did have to make a mount, but just a couple square tubes and a couple pieces of flat stock....
Hoodlum

tracksusa

• View Profile
Seat Options for FL350
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »
got mine off ebay feels good and the support  is good, just had to put a spacer on the f/R lever