Author Topic: Where's the plug?  (Read 1511 times)

rsnellstrom

• View Profile
Where's the plug?
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »
New to this site, just got an FL250E for my son and thought it wise to change the oil in the reduction gear. Not sure of the year, previous owner said it was an 85, but I do have the shop manual. The manual explains everything except where the drain plug is. I can't seem to find it. Please, don't tell me I have to loosen the reduction gear cover. My 12 year old son says to remove oil level plug and tip the Odyssey over, LOL. Thanks in advance for any help in this manner.

girth first

• View Profile
reduction gear
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
your son is  right, if you have  to drain the oil that would be the short of it, but if you want to do it right you should remove the reduction gear, split the case. after the case is split i have heard of people drilling and tapping the case and installing a pipe plug that has a inverted hex hole at the lowest point at the case.
                                                 If your in the case dont forget to
 replace the chain with a #50 standard size H/D roller chain and master link

rsnellstrom

• View Profile
Where's the plug?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:31:50 AM »
Wow, who would have thought it would be such a chore? Not having any problems with it, thought I'd just start fresh. Perhaps I'll just top it off and call it good. Thanks for your insight!