Author Topic: The rebirth of the "Thunder Pig"......now for sale $1000  (Read 4883 times)

PilotHawK

• View Profile
The rebirth of the "Thunder Pig"......now for sale $1000
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:07:24 PM »
Although this isn't the complete story of this bike, it most of the story I have on it.

I bought a 1985 XR600 early last spring. I didn't really need another "project" but the price was right, and I did need something with more power to ride out in the dunes at Glamis. I paid $300 for it and another $50 or so to get it registered. Yes I do have a plate for it! In Tennessee they won't issue a title for anything meant for off-road use, BUT if you get an "off-road" vehicle from somewhere else that happens to issue titles for off-road' toys then you're in business.

The bike "ran" and was complete, but it had seen much better days. By ran I mean I could get it to start, but it was nowhere close to being in riding condition. The fork boots were ripped and torn in half. It was filthy, and it was covered in dried mud, and a slimy concoction of oil, grease, and grime that actually kept the thing from rusting away as it sat in my driveway for the better part of 10 months.

I finally got my shop close enough to being finished that I was able to tackle getting the Thunder Pig back into riding condition.

Enjoy the pics.

The first set of pictures is what the bike looked like before I started this project.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »
Here it is almost all the way apart.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:15:03 PM »
Here's something I wasn't expecting  :(

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:18:38 PM »
I hope this works!

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:23:29 PM »
After I "fixed" the crack in the frame I had to paint the repair. Chevy engine orange is almost a perfect match. And no I didn't paint the entire frame either!

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:29:31 PM »
Fenders.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »
I've got the swingarm back on. I cleaned the inside and out of the rear shock. The shock oil in it was just as nasty as the forks had been. It also got a dose of new tranny fluid.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 11:38:48 PM »
After I had most of the frame back together I decided to work on the engine a little. I wasn't entirely thrilled with what I found either. I used a half-round file to knock the edge of the seal pocket back flat so the seal wouldn't be jammed off to the side.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:47:18 PM »
I pulled the valve cover off the engine, and it was amazingly clean inside. After I saw how clean it was I decided to leave the top-end alone, and hope for the best. I did pull both outer cases off and take a look around. On the clutch side, I replaced the friction plates, and found out that the automatic decompressor cam was broken (its got a lever on the handlebars, so who needs the automatic one anyway right?). On the oil pump side everything looked pretty clean as well. I did find a few small metal shavings stuck to the pulse generator, but nothing horrible. I pulled the oil screen and it looked pretty good too. After new gaskets the cases went back on. While I had the valve cover off I went ahead and adjusted the valve clearances too.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »
Here it is after a few laps around the yard. It smokes a little but has amazing power. It'll lift the front wheel off the ground effortlessly. It was popping a little when I let off the throttle so I went ahead and pulled the carbs so I could adjust the jetting a little (I raised the primary needle all the way and the secondary needle to the next to last notch, otherwise the jetting is stock). Getting the carbs out is a pain in the ass too!

I bought the seat that's sitting on the bike on fleabay a few months ago because the one that came with the bike was pretty trashed. The seat ended up not fitting, so if you know anyone that's looking for a decent seat for an XR other than an '85 let me know and I can hook you up! I tried to order a new seat from honda but they are discontinued. I ended up rebuilding the junk seat that came with my bike using the parts of the undamaged stock foam and some new foam, but since I didn't have a cover, I ended up using duct tape. I know its not ideal, but it'll work until I can get a cover on it after I get back from the dunes. Sorry I didn't get a picture of that, but I'll get one while I'm at the dunes and post it later.

So, that's the story of the rebirth of the Thunder Pig! I hope its got another 24 years left in it!

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:21:51 AM »
Basically when it was all said and done I've touched and cleaned almost every nut and bolt on this bike. I enjoyed the process, and learned a lot about this bike! I just hope it doesn't try to hurt me!

I was able to pull a picture of the finished seat off my phone. Nowhere near ideal, but much better than what was one there! I'll eventually get another seat or a replacement cover to go on the seat.

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:33:05 PM »
man that is one fine crome looking seat!!!

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
Lokks good and it will hurt you the q is how bad.

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 08:25:43 PM »
I aint say'n nothin!!!!!!!! :lol:

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 12:20:38 AM »
Thanks!