Author Topic: Anyone ever make a homemade leak down tester?  (Read 2621 times)

oleyeller250

• View Profile
Anyone ever make a homemade leak down tester?
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
if so please list parts needed and pics if possible I would like to leak test my motor before starting it.
thanks

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »

Here is mine. Its simple to build. I just used a pvc plug to block the intake, and an expandable rubber plug to block off the exhaust. Make sure the spark plug is tight too (don't ask how I know it'll cause a leak). Also you want to make sure the piston is at BDC when you do your testing.

The tester is simply a small brass TEE with a pressure gauge in the top hole, a schraeder valve (air valve like on a tire) on one end, and a barbed fitting on the other that is used to connect to a piece of fuel line.

Don't add air straight out of the compressor hose. Use a bike pump or a small transfer tank with only about 15 lbs of air in it.

oleyeller250

• View Profile
THANKS
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
thanks, I can do that....

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »
I forgot to add. test for leaks with something like windex or some dish washing soap mixed with water and put into a spray bottle. The dish washing soap mixture works better for me, but the windex is easier to find.

aas5f6

• View Profile
Test your device
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:34:47 AM »
Make sure you spray your device with that solution PH said to make sure its not your leak tester leaking.