Author Topic: Well pulled the motor and found  (Read 3972 times)

oleyeller250

• View Profile
Well pulled the motor and found
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
JUNK, pulled the motor out and the head off and carb found rusted and rings burnt, jug is wasted , head is cleanable I think... does not even budge to get the jug off the piston or piston out of the jug  however you want to say it.

I must say this being my first ody, they seem very easy to work on.  plus the motor is much lighter than most I have wrenched on.

it does have a comet duster clutch set up on it , is it really true you need a special tool to remove the clutch?  some type of pin ?

anyway back to cleaning up carb and , head and gas tank next

aas5f6

• View Profile
Keep us updated!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Update us with any progress made. Also you can find the Honda manual from pilothawk to help with the teardown.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 06:08:33 PM »
Yes you need the puller otherwise you'll destroy the clutch getting it off, and they aren't cheap to replace.

oleyeller250

• View Profile
Anyone want to loan a clutch puller tool?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:26:24 PM »
Anyone want to loan a clutch pulling tool for the 94c Comet clutch?

I am in Missouri  cheapest one I found is 38 plus shipping

only need it one time . Also is there a part number for the correct tool for a fl250 comet duster clutch I think is a 94c? but not sure do not know how to tell .
I just found a place that has 2 puller tools shown for 18 and 19 dollars  but I do not know which one and what all is to be used to remove a clutch  .
can anyone send a picture of what the tool looks like and what all is needed one shows a bolt the other shows a long shaft?
thanks

:D

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »
The long shaft goes in first and pushed against the end of the crankshaft. The bolt threads into the clutch and pushed on the shaft. If you can figure out what the threads on the comet are you can use a bolt with those threads and cut the head off a long grade 8 or better bolt that is small enough to fit inside the clutch but large enough to push on the end of the crank. I've used a socket before as the long shaft for pulling a stock clutch.

oleyeller250

• View Profile
What is the length
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:08:59 PM »
Of the tool to gointo the clutch and hit the crank? I found a bolt it is 9/16-18 x 1"  that is the size for bolt  now only need the length of the tool for the 94c duster clutch

THANKS all

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 07:33:10 AM »
Use a wooden dowel that will slip all the way down to the bottom of the threaded crank hole and mark it at the outside of the clutch. Measure what you have and subtract 1/2" off the measurement you made to find the length of the pusher rod you'll need. Step 2: find a hardened bolt that you can cut the head off of to use as a pusher. It is not likely that you'll find a bolt to match the crank threads other than the bolt that holds the clutch on (I think its a 12mm x 1.25 thread pitch) so find one that will fit snugly inside the crank hole.....something around 3/8" should work. Make sure that the bolt is hardened steel or it might mushroom and get stuck in the crank hole. The clutch can be a bitch to get to let go, and since you are rebuilding the engine anyway I would suggest an impact wrench to get the clutch to pop off, and it will pop. The first one I did scared the crap out of me.

oleyeller250

• View Profile
here's what I found so far
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
this first link is for the pullr/pusher rod p/n 205817 and the cost is 15.00 for the rod.

I think If the store I called is correct they said they have the bolt for 1.50 will just make a grade 8 bolt 5" long and save the cash and shipping.  I will know Monday if they have the right bolt.
http://www.snowmobileclutchpullers.com/product/7-205817

next link is for the bolt it is number205747, page 358 diagram shows the pcover puller bolt and washer. cost is $6.70 for the bolt

http://www.autodist.com/IMAGES/08%20AD%20SNOW%20PDF/clutch.pdf

aas5f6

• View Profile
Missouri Riders
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 05:50:48 PM »
Oleyeller, where are you located in Missouri. I live in St. Louis, but go down to school in Rolla. Know of anywhere to ride besides St. Joe?

oleyeller250

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »
aas5f6
I know of a couple places, Finger lakes in Columbia MO.
and there is another place in Fulton , MO. it allows everything.
Unlike the Finger Lakes they do not allow Odys or Rhino, and other bench type rides.

Oh, I am outside of Columbia and Fulton  West off 70 about 120 miles

aas5f6

• View Profile
Fulton Location
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 03:46:53 PM »
Do you know the name, address, or website for the Fulton place?

oleyeller250

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
I do not know the name, a friend of mine is to come over he knows more I will have him tell me all the stuff about it he knows, he showed me the place but I only been there once , I have generally gone to finger lakes since I have a Timberwolf ATV I ride there. Now that I have this Ody  I will have to go to Fulton again.

oleyeller250

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
the place in fulton I was told is called Potowannamee off gravel road past fairgrounds

do not know of a street name  my friend is going to chk on that, it may just be a county rd. with a number