Author Topic: Newbie with a OLD Odyssey what year is this thing  (Read 2763 times)

oleyeller250

• View Profile
Newbie with a OLD Odyssey what year is this thing
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »
Hi all newbie here with a FL250 Honda Odyssey all I see is  FL250 and the serial number on the left rear of the frame.

It is yellow  has a light on the roller  ( not a full roll bar either) but that bulb says 6 volts?  it does have an electric starter on it.
at first I thought it was a 1980  but now I think it might be a 77  HOW can I tell for sure?

thanks in advance

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie with a OLD Odyssey what year is this thing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:06 PM »
Quote from: "oleyeller250"
Hi all newbie here with a FL250 Honda Odyssey all I see is  FL250 and the serial number on the left rear of the frame.

It is yellow  has a light on the roller  ( not a full roll bar either) but that bulb says 6 volts?  it does have an electric starter on it.
at first I thought it was a 1980  but now I think it might be a 77  HOW can I tell for sure?

thanks in advance

Seems to be from 77-79....Look here... http://www.efadgroup.com/Odyssey%20World/index.htm

Hoodlum

oleyeller250

• View Profile
thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »
thanks for the site and info  it does fall into the 77-79 year but looking at the headlight mounted on roll cage is like a 1980 model and the rear of the seat has a metal back or do all the seat backs have metal? I thought I read that only 80 on up had metal?  this thing was sitting outside without a air cleaner on it and water has gotten into it.It does turn over very hard though but I think I should pull the head  and chk the cylinder before trying to start it  

if this is a 77 or so and only 6 volt system  it does have a 12 volt battery and a starter on it???

can that be/
thanks again

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:59:43 AM »
The starter is an aftermarket setup from goki. More info on it can be found here. http://g2buggy.g2-innovations.com/gentech/manuals/gokimanual.pdf

The buggy is a 77-79 since it is a 6 volt system, and I assume it has points. In 1980 it was changed to a 12v points ignition.

All had metal seat backs.

I used to have a link with the serial #'s by years, but I can't find it. If you don't have a manual for it look here. http://g2buggy.g2-innovations.com/gentech/manuals/fl250manual.zip

If water got into the engine you might as well pull it and replace the crank bearings and seals while you have it apart.

Pictures are always good, and welcome to the site.

oleyeller250

• View Profile
Great info here THANKS
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »
Thanks Very good info in the links

I guess today I remove the motor, anything else I should do besides crank bearings?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »
There isn't much else really. I would definitely consider a new intake boot though, and do a leakdown test on the engine before you put it back in the buggy.