Author Topic: Gas Cap Problem  (Read 3210 times)

cruz01

• View Profile
Gas Cap Problem
« on: October 27, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
I recently purchased a used oem gas cap for the stock gas tank on my fl350. The gas cap seems to function properly with the key but when I place the gas cap on the gas tank it fits on loose.

The gas cap will lock when I pull the key out but the gas cap isn't secured tightly to the tank. After taking the buggy for a spin, gas leaked all around the top of gas tank.

Am I doing something wrong or did Honda have issues with the oem gas caps. Also, are there any aftermarket gas caps that work with the oem gas tank??

cruz01

• View Profile
Gas Cap Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »
Wow.. So many suggestions, I don't know which idea to use...

Anybody have any idea why my gas cap isn't working?? It sucks riding with gas shooting out all over the place..

Weed

• View Profile
cap
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 05:20:37 PM »
My cap doesn't leak on any of my machines.  When you put the cap on push down and the key should snap 90 degrees counterclockwise(if i remember correctly)  

Can you take a pic and show us?  

How do the "ears" look that pop out when you can take out the key?

Weed...

cruz01

• View Profile
Gas Cap Problem
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »
[/img]

cruz01

• View Profile
Gas Cap Problem
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:32:41 PM »
Hey Weed,

Here are the pics of the gas cap. I lock works and when I turn the key and push down on the seal, the ears pop out. When I mount the cap on the gas tank and lock with the key, the cap locks to the tank but the cap is loose. I'm assuming the seal is worn. If this is the case, how in the heck do I find a replacement seal?

stix

• View Profile
Gas Cap Problem
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
I have two FL350's and when I top off the tank to 100% full, both will leak a small amount of gas past the cap, maybe an ounce. I have found that if I keep the keyhole and tumblers inside the keyhole clean,  the cap tends to seal better. Brake cleaner in a spray can from an auto parts store works well for this.To clean, turn the gas cap upside down, place the small straw provided with the brake cleaner up inside the keyhole. Clean thoroughly. Procedure for unlocking and locking the gas cap is as follows: When the cap is installed you can simply put in the key and turn, this will release the cap and let you lift off the cap from the tank, leave the key in the keyhole, then to install the cap, make sure the arrow on the cap is pointing to the front of the odyssey, then press firmly, the key will automatically turn and the gas cap is locked, if the key does not turn then you need to clean the inside of the keyhole until it will. It will not be extremely tight like you would find on an automobiles gas cap.  Good luck man

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Gas Cap Problem
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »
You might also inspect the gas tank where the cap seals. If someone pried the cap off, it may have damaged the tank. Do you have another 350 owner around you that you could compare your tank to?
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

cruz01

• View Profile
Gas Cap Problem
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 10:25:07 PM »
Hey Stix,

Thanks for info. I did what you said and the gas cap functions properly with the key automatically turning when I press on the cap to lock. The lock works and I can't take the cap off unless I use the key to unlock the cap.

The problem is the cap sits too loose. I noticed that the lining of gas tank neck is pressed in where the locking mechanism of the gas cap presses against the tank. Look at the pics..

Is the gas tank neck expose to have indents where the gas cap locks in?? Is this what you were talking about odypilots?

Weed

• View Profile
Gas Cap Problem
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »
I think you found your problem!!!!  I have 6 tanks and none of them have the indention.

cruz01

• View Profile
Gas Cap Problem
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »
I think so too weed.... Now I have to figure out how to pull out those indentations

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Gas Cap Problem
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 01:43:06 PM »
Yes, that's what I was wondering about.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)