Author Topic: Tom's Honda Odyssey FL250  (Read 13780 times)

tomsinthehouse

• View Profile
Tom's Honda Odyssey FL250
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:31:03 AM »
Hey guys, the Honda Odyssey buggy arrived today and i have a few queries/questions for you. By the looks of the buggy it will be the first of many! The pull start was said to be not working, it arrived in the foot tray of the odyssey, so hopefully the transport people havnt lost any bits. Also on the head of the motor there are 2 spark plugs but only one is connected to the cables, is there supposed to be a second lot of cables attached to other spark plug? Heres some pictures:
A picture of the buggy:

Heres a picture of the spark plugs:

zoomed out picture of the pull start:

zoomed in picture of the pull start with the 3 wing section, i can only find 2 wings so hopefully the lost one is inside the main bit of the pullstart. on this picture you can see that part of it has been sheared off(GREAT!!!im being sycatic) does this mean i need a new pullstart? or atleast that part?

THanks in advance Tom

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 07:54:05 AM »
The starter guts are junk you are missing several parts to it. For the rebuild procedure look at this
http://g2buggy.g2-innovations.com/fl250/pullstart.htm

The second spark plug is just there to block off the extra hole in the head. Originally there was a blockoff plug in the hole. For some reason people remove those plugs and insert a spark plug.

You can order a complete new starter and/or the parts you need from service honda.

www.servicehonda.com

There is a fair amount of information on my pages http://g2buggy.g2-innovations.com/

Plus a lot here on the message board.

Welcome to the world of pilots and odysseys and yes they are addictive!

tomsinthehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:59:06 AM »
cool, there is a close up picture of part of the pull start assembly that has been sheared off, would you be able to tell me what part that is? and im guessing ill be needing a new one of it? :D Lol ive been addicted about buying one for a couple of months and finally bought one about 3 weeks ago and finally got it today.  :D im sure once i ride it for the first time ill be even more addicted!  8) Cheers Tom

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »
Service honda has an online micro fiche that you can use to see exactly what parts you will need. You WILL need to look at that in order to get the part numbers.

If you looked at the starter rebuild page that will also show you what you need.

Compare what you have in usable condition to what is pictured on the previous link and you can figure out what you will need to order.

Just from the looks of the housing you would be better off ordering the entire pullstarter assembly.

tomsinthehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 04:40:01 AM »
:D ok thanks, i will check service honda, i dont really wont to buy the whole pull start assembly but i can if i have to, i saw it in another site for $170.  :roll:

Zach62794

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:49:20 AM »
you might as well get the goki kit there is 1 on ebay going for 280 buy it now Considering they go new for 360 and you will never have to pull again unless your battery dies lol

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 07:57:42 AM »
The one from service should only run about 150, maybe less.

tomsinthehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 08:44:06 AM »
lol that would suck. if the battery went flat in the middle of a no where. :D , you still really need a pullstart aswell as a elctric start dont you?

tomsinthehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 06:15:39 PM »
its $135  :D  i dont really have enough money to spend on a electric start aswell

tomsinthehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
Hey guys, im very confused, when looking on the honda service site i noticed that it had serial numbers so that you could ID what year you buggy was. I checked myn and the motor is under the 78 section. The engines serial number is 100670 and then an 8 or a S. But there are no plates or serial numbers on the frame does anyone know how i can identify it?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 07:52:23 AM »
The buggy frame appears to be an 82-84 by the way the frame looks and the mostly blue "odyssey" stickers on the side of the frame by the seat.

Someone may have switched the motor out for some reason or another. Heck its onlt 26 years old :)

77-80 was a 6v points ignition, and the 81 was a 6v CDI ignition. 82-84 was 12v CDI ignition.

There should be a serial # on the back of the buggy on the main frame towards the left side.

tomsinthehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 06:31:31 PM »
found the serial number under heaps of grease(which was why i didn't see it before) the serial # is JHSTB0408DCBO415. Does that tell you anything?

I noticed when searching this afternoon on a site there is a picture of each year model and the photo of the 1984 model matches my frame. So im guessing its a 84 model, does that mean that I have to get a 1978 starter or a 1984 starter?

Heres the website:
http://www.atcheaven.com/Model_ids_p5.htm

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 08:39:18 AM »
The engine blocks are all the same. If you compare the part numbers on the starter from the 78 to the 84 I'm sure they'll be the same.

tomsinthehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »
Ok thanks. Ill do that before I order any parts. I cleaned all the grease and crap off the fuel tank and back of the frame today. :D

tomsinthehouse

• View Profile
Hand brake cable not connected...
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 03:35:17 AM »
Hey guys, ive been cleaning the Honda odyssey up and came across that the hand brake cable was out. Wheres it go? I couldn't see where it connected.
Heres a picture: