Author Topic: FL250 won't start  (Read 9748 times)

aas5f6

• View Profile
FL250 won't start
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »
I just completely torn down and rebuilt my FL250, but it wont start. Cleaned the carb, brand new intake manifold, fuel pump is working fine. I have 146lbs of compression (shaved head), and a nice strong spark. My problem is I have no suction through the carb to get gas into the engine. Any help is much appreciated. I can only suspect a leaking gasket between intake manifold and engine block or leaking lower end.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
FL250 won't start
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
It would have to be a huge leak for that to be a problem. What piston did you use? Why did you rebuild it in the first place? Since you seem to have a little knowledge, did you do a leakdown test?

aas5f6

• View Profile
Response
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:59:48 PM »
I have not because I do not have the right tools. I did not rebuild the engine so everything is stock on the engine.

aas5f6

• View Profile
Maybe a solution
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »
I am almost positive its a lower end leak probably seals. but I cannot find any one in st louis that can replace the seals / lower end gasket if you know of any one who can do it or has done it please post a reply.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
FL250 won't start
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:22:26 PM »
I just completely torn down and rebuilt my FL250, but it won't start

Sorry, but after reading the above quote I was under the impression that there was a tear down of the engine, and not of the machine only.

You need to do a leakdown test then you WILL know where the problem is. The parts for a leak tester are less than 20 bucks.

Did the engine run BEFORE you did your "restoration"?

aas5f6

• View Profile
Tear Down
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:04:31 AM »
I didnt touch the engine. It didnt run before, i had to get the bottom end from someone locally and I had the stock top end. Could you send me a link to a leak down tester. Because I am thinking the one you are thinking of test the top end for leaks not the bottom end.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
FL250 won't start
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:47:06 PM »
In a 2-stroke testing for an air leak involves the entire engine top and bottom. There are fuel/air passages in the cylinder that connect the combustion chamber to the bottom of the engine called transfer ports. The fresh fuel/oil mixture enters the engine from the carburetor and passes through the bottom end. This is what cools and lubricates the main, and rod bearings. After that it passes through the transfer ports to the top of the engine where it is compressed and combusted by a spark.

You are about a week late on the bottom end. I took it apart so I could put it on ebay this week.

aas5f6

• View Profile
Bottom End
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »
How far apart is it?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
FL250 won't start
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
All the way.

It would have to have new seals, and the bearings pressed back in.

aas5f6

• View Profile
How much
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 11:56:04 PM »
How much for a good lower end with new seals, clutch and will fit old points system. Needs to have connection rod.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
FL250 won't start
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 03:46:51 AM »
Only because I'm not interested in doing it. I will put together a bottom end with a good crank and new seals and bearings for $175 shipped. I am not trying to make money, I just really don't have the time to do it. I can't do anything about a clutch though.

Your best bet would probably be to email
[email protected] and see what he would charge to rebuild the motor. Tell him pilothawk sent you.

aas5f6

• View Profile
Bottom End
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:36 AM »
I could have someone install it on my bottom end for that price. I contact that guy to see how much it is from him.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
FL250 won't start
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 02:45:05 PM »
Like I said. I am not really interested in doing it, but if I were going to I would make money on it.

aas5f6

• View Profile
Leakdown
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »
Guess I should make a leakdown tester then.

aas5f6

• View Profile
Seals were bad
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 10:32:38 AM »
After tearing down the engine, the crank seals were bad, replaced seals and bearing, the engine started right up and runs extremely strong.