Author Topic: Some advice for a new buyer please..  (Read 2290 times)

205gtinut

Some advice for a new buyer please..
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »
Hi there currently looking at a fl350 on ebay in australia. Could any of you guys give me a simply buying guide for the things to look out for. Ive had Banshees, 250r's, Tri-z, 400ex over the last ten years but no Fl's or Pilots.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 08:03:16 AM »
The primary thing to remember is that these machines are aging the FL350's are 23+ years old. Some have aged better than others. Part might or might not be an issue.

It sounds like you have owned several machines along the way so basically you should know how to spot junk. Typically if the machine looks well cared for and the current owner is willing to answer any questions then you would be getting a decent machine. But again you have to remember these are off-road buggies that are 23 years old, and stuff does wear out.

Things to look for or look out for:

Is the machine heavily modified? Modified machines are usually harder on all the components of the 350 and not just the engine.

How well does the tranny shift? Sometimes the 350 tranny will be finicky about going into gear. Usually revving the engine slightly and pushing it into gear works, but with that the gears will grind a little. This is to be expected and not necessary a bad thing.

What condition are the shocks in? The stock shocks are usually junk at this stage of the machines life. They were never all that great from the factory, but now they are usually seized, or just worn out and pretty much junk.

Does it have fenders? Fenders and many other parts are almost impossible to get, and the fender mounting brackets are even harder to get than the fenders if they are missing.

Motor parts are perhaps the hardest thing to get. Honda pistons and rings are no longer available at all, and wiseco pistons only go up to 80 mm. If possible check out the bore of the cylinder before you buy. You don't want something you can't rebuild.

Hope this helps. And good luck finding a machine you like.

205gtinut

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:22:45 PM »
Great thanks!! Im going to look at a few before rushing in. Most of my bikes i try to buy as stock as possible and as clean so i will carry that through to the Fl..

What after market shocks are available for them? Do quad shocks fit? I usaully put a piston in any of my new 2strokes first day just to make sure, along with a good service (had one bad experience many years ago and have always done this since)

Im bored of quads and trikes now and i couldnt justify buyin a pilot as it will only be out once a month so the 350Fl ticks my box!!

Any little modifing tips would be great example parts that fit from other honda machines etc etc

Thanks again!!

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 07:19:03 PM »
Wow! I just reread my post and now I see why one needs sleep. I work night shift and that was written after work. Sorry about a few punctuation and spelling errors that made my reply hard to read.

The wiseco pistons are available all the way to 82mm. As far as putting in a new piston right away, be careful there. There are only 4 bores available with the wiseco pistons so you don't want to waste one if you can keep from it. I agree that it is a good idea to pull the top-end and inspect stuff for wear or other problems.

As far as parts interchangeablity (wow is that even a word?) goes...There aren't many parts from other machines that will fit an FL350.

The only direct replacement shocks that are worth getting for the 350 are works shocks, and they are typically the best perfomance upgrade you can make to the machine.

good luck with your quest.

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »
If you need parts.....well I have quite a collection.  I also sell new parts including gaskets, shocks, rods, wheels, pipes, carbs, pistons, etc....If I don't have it or can't get find a part I can still lead you in the right direction.

www.pilotodysseyperformance.com

baz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »
G'Day all!  Just got a PM from one of our BuggyBro's Nukem.
Hoping it was for an ALL exspenses paid Buggy Driving n Drinkin' Odyssey to the wilds of Wyoming. :o  But alas...NOT! :cry:
Instead it was to inform that a fellow Aussie needs some help with the 350.
Whereabouts are you 205? I'm in Perth West Aus.Ive owned approx 6-7 Odys over the years and now have a couple of Pilots,one in which I'm racing at Northam Speedway.
I have a bit of knowledge,contacts,both 1st & 2nd edition Manuals and some parts left over,especially gear box parts-lots of gears etc including a complete serviced trans ready to install.Even know a guy with gear cutting machine in his backyard-ex speedway driver Retired.
I also have a complete set of F-glass molds to glass up the fenders.
PM me for ph # if you need to ask me anything...Baz

205gtinut

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »
Hey Baz im in Ireland at the minute but will be in Melbourne next friday at 6.20am.. Im heading out for a year to my uncles and looking to get into these Odysseys as they r pretty rare in Ireland. and im bored with the quads!!

I will not hesitate to contact you if i need any info or parts fella. Thanks for your reply fella!!