Author Topic: BITD 2008 Terrible's 250 Desert Race. Primm, NV, April 19th  (Read 2013 times)

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
BITD 2008 Terrible's 250 Desert Race. Primm, NV, April 19th
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
Finally got to go desert racing in the new 10Dez.  What a blast.  We only went 36 miles (of 250) before falling to some sort of electrical gremlin, but at least we were able to drive out of the desert under low power and not have to wait for hours to be rescued.

Anyhow, here are a few videos that I pulled from my on-board camera.

Somewhere around mile 5 - maybe?

Downhill area  I wish I had audio from the intercom wired into the camera.  (it's something I can do and plan to do.)  James was extremely worried that we were headed on over the edge and his navigational instructions were hysterical.  They were coming at me like a machine gun.  This is a big file so it's slow to load.  Sorry.  

It doesn't look like we're going 90

I saw the guy in my mirror and promptly got right in his way trying to move out of it.

A nice little rough section

Double Jump anyone? - there's meaning behind this comment... James (my navigator) is the only one that will understand.

The beginning of my engine issues.

I have video of the last moment's of the engine running, but for some reason the audio is off (delayed by about 7 seconds) and it's sort of funky to watch.  Once I get that fixed, I'll try to upload more.

The majority of the sound you hear are the body panels rattling.  When I put the car back together after it's tear down I'll be rubber mounting and insulating everything I can.  It's annoying as hell.

Enjoy!
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Weed

• View Profile
wow...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:21:13 PM »
That sucks!!!!!  Only 36 miles, well I bet it was sweet while it lasted.  Better luck next time.

If it is in your harness, I recommend Deutsch connectors.  Gold plated pin type connectors that are shock and dirt proof.  They are the same connectors that Caterpillar uses on heavy equipment.

Weed...

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »
I seriously doubt it's a harness or connector issue.  I use Delphi Weather Pack connectors everywhere.  I will check everything, though.

I'm thinking it's an electrical component that's heating up and breaking down as it gets hot.  The intermittent nature of the failure leads me to this theory.

Started out like someone reached up and just quickly turned the ignition off and back on, then it proceeded to be longer in duration of "off" and it started happening more and more frequently.

The car's getting stripped to the bone, the frame clear powder coated and then rebuilt.  I'll address a few minor issues as I put it all back together.  

This was the first true shake down race and I didn't expect to finish.  I achieved my main goal of not being pulled out of the desert, so it's all good.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 09:08:31 PM »
Sounds like you had fun anyway. Those ele grimmlins can be a real you know what. Not fermilure  with your car post alittle info motor ect. I like pics. I did get to see your jump at school where ya nosed it in. Pretty cool. Nice to see throttle don't scare ya. Is there a way to double the cdi or igination box and switch back and forth. what about more grd jumpers.

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 08:34:16 AM »
This pretty much covers all aspects of the 10Dez:  http://www.yellowdogracing.com/DezII.htm

Quick overview of the 10Dez:
Heavily modified ATV Racing Tazcar - built from the ground up as a Class 10 race car as per SCORE's rule book.
Chassis has been stretched 6" over standard, roof raised 6" and is all chromoly
Honda B16a VTEC power plant
RPM tranny
Comet drive, Team driven clutches
Non-plunging 930 CVs w/plunging axles
20" of travel on all four corners controlled by Revolution Racing Shocks
Fuel Safe custom fuel cell
CNC brakes
Dual inboard vented rear rotors
Gear One hubs
Sparco seats
Team Tech harnesses
Lowrance GPS
Kenwood two way radio system
Yokohama Super Digger III tires
VW Wide-5 pattern wheels
Lightforce lighting w/adjustable upper light bar
Carbon fiber/Kevlar hood

It will be getting Howe power steering on the rebuild.  There's no way I can hang on to the wheel for a full race in it's present state.

The car's been pushed into the back of the shop for a little while so I can finish another project (inserting 4 stroke engine into the last of the three Gen IV cars) before I dive into getting it ready for the next race.

Once I get the time, the 10Dez will be stripped down to the bare frame and completely gone through and checked.  I'll be getting the frame clear powder coated and then start putting it back together paying very careful attention to a lot of little detail things.

I will be modifying, changing and adding a few ground leads.  There's a good chance that at least one of my little issues is related to a bad ground.

I'm not sure about adding a second ignition system.  I really think it's some component that heats up and starts to break down.  I'll approach it from that at least at first.