Author Topic: New clutch belt kinda loose....  (Read 2186 times)

Offroad Junkie

• View Profile
New clutch belt kinda loose....
« on: March 02, 2008, 04:20:56 AM »
When I first bought my 350 it had a Comet 102c with a belt that looked loose and was rubbing on the U joint. It ran good but it still bothered me.  I replaced the 102c with a 94c (still in progress) and the belt with a new Dayco 2 and it is still loose.
Questions

--Is the clutch belt suppose to be tight on the clutch and hard to get on/off?
--If I have the wrong belt (for the second time..odds?) What belt do you guys recommend?

OJ

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »
I have had 5 odys and all of them had the belt rub on the axle.  It is perfectly normal.  You should be able to roll the belt over the driven between the guard with out taking anything apart.

Weed...

Offroad Junkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 02:08:11 AM »
Thanks for all the replies Weed.

The belt is fairly easy to remove and install. So that issue is scratched off my growing list. I am going to look for a new 12x1.25 clutch bolt this weekend. Do you have any suggestions about common issues with the pull start. I just rebuilt my starter and it works great but I never had the pull start work.

OJ

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 02:06:08 PM »
The pull starter is quite simple once you get it apart.  If the rope and handle are still there and it will extend and retract, your problem lies with the catch and the basket inside.  If you need parts let me know, I bet I have 6 of the pull starts lying around.

Offroad Junkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:16:17 PM »
I am going to tear it down this weekend and find out the real issue. I think I will have to take you up on the pull start offer. We will see..

Thanks weed

OJ

Offroad Junkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »
I have my pull start torn apart including the spring... Everything looks to be in operating state but I don't know what a bad catch and basket would look like. Everything looks to be ok. I cleaned the spring from end to end but I am having a heck of a time getting it back in. Any tricks?
The manual says to grease the spring, what exactly am I greasing, the whole thing? Any answers will be great and more info or tricks of the trade will be great. Thanks

OJ

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:25:38 PM »
Gloves and patience. The spring will cut you up good. When I rebuild a pull starter I spray the spring with lithium grease out of an aerosol can.

Here is a link to a fl250 pull start rebuild I did a while back. I might help a little.

http://g2buggy.g2-innovations.com/fl250/pullstart.htm

Offroad Junkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:05:13 AM »
Hawk that was a great step by step instruction. I have added your website to my favorites for further instruction. I have the cuts to prove my attempt so far to rebuild my pull start. I have sucessfully rebuilt my starter similar to the one on your page. Thanks for the help and wish me luck.....and patience!

OJ (Tx)