Author Topic: Rescently purchaced 350 Ody with a speed problem  (Read 2207 times)

Skull

• View Profile
Rescently purchaced 350 Ody with a speed problem
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:43:45 PM »
hello, i am new to the forum and am in need of some help.

I reticently purchased an Ody 350. It runs great, doesn't smoke at all, and the engine is totally stock.

My problem is when i am driving it the engine will rev up, but i don't get the acceleration i expect. It isn't bogging down or anything, it is just simply not accelerating when i rev it up and doesn't seem fast at all.

the belt is brand new but the clutch is original if that helps any.

if anyone knows of a solution to this problem i would appreciate it as i want this baby to get up and go like it should.

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:56:06 PM »
WELCOME!

I have 4 350s and have been rebuilding everything on them for many years. It sounds like the clutches are not shifting out fully(not completely opening or closing). My first suggestion would be to disassemble, inspect, clean and replace worn parts on both drive (engine) and driven(tranny)clutches. If your machine is stock or mildly modified, the Comet 94C drive clutch is a great aftermarket replacment. Any more questions, fire away!

Gary

Skull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:02:55 PM »
thanks so much for a quick helpful reply,  i will try cleaning them and c what i can do about replacing parts, im set on replacing both clutches though if that is the problem for sure

i will get back with results but probably with more questions as i have no experience with clutches.

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:29:17 PM »
Your welcome! If you have trouble getting them off(you probably will, they are normally siezed to the shafts), just ask for help/tips/tricks. Also, when you have it cleaned up and are ready to reassemble, use a dry lube(will not attract dust and dirt) such as Comet clutch spray lube. :wink:

Skull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »
thanks again.  i took the clutch cover off and saw that the belt was at the top of the clutch.  is this normal or should it be more towards the shaft?

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:20:38 AM »
If you are talking about the driven clutch(tranny), that is normal. Here is a little trick I use to check belt movement on the clutch faces... Remove the belt then use a black permanent marker to make several lines from the center out to the outer edges on both clutches. You will have to find a way to hold the driven open to make those lines. Reinstall the belt and then run the crap out of it for a few minutes. Be sure to do some top end runs too. remove the belt again and check for rubbed off lines. They should be almost gone from both entire clutch faces. Does that make sense?

Skull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 11:24:25 AM »
yes it makes perfect sense.  i took your advice and tried the marker trick.  when i was finished i found that the drive clutch (engine) had rubbed off all the marker lines but the driven clutch (transmission) only rubbed off the top 2 lines. (i made 4 lines down each side).  so now i guess we have narrowed it down to the driven clutch,  do u think removing it and servicing it will fix it or do i need a new one

What do u recommend?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Clutch
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »
If the drive clutch took away all the marks and the driven didn't, I would try a new belt....Sounds like it's either stretched or is the wrong size....If the drive forces the belt to the outside of the clutch, it has no choice but go down in the driven if it is the correct belt and is not badly stretched....
Usually if the driven is bad, it will over-ride the drive, not letting the belt go all the way to the top.....
Hoodlum

Skull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 05:56:24 PM »
thanks for your input, what should the measurement of the belt be, i want to measure mine first before i go out and get a new one.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Belt
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 06:12:19 PM »
What brand belt is it, and what numbers are on it?
Hoodlum

Skull

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 06:22:54 PM »
im not sure what brand it is, and there is no writing on it.  it is however in good condition and fits snugly around both pulleys.