Author Topic: how would a 2005 fusion 900 engine be for a swap?  (Read 1545 times)

sicksand

• View Profile
how would a 2005 fusion 900 engine be for a swap?
« on: April 13, 2007, 03:23:41 PM »
Would that fusion 900 engine be to much for my pilot?Do I need to find something a little smaller hp wise?I still am kind of looking for an engine,but not to sure what to go with yet?

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 03:42:19 PM »
What is that engine? One thing to keep in mind is power to weight ratio. To much HP will be more of a hindrence than an asset to you. If all your doing is spinning the the knobsof of your rear wheels and the only thing you ever see is the sky...................Well you get the picture. Also keep in mind that the drive train needs to be able to handle the HP with out breaking. Im doing a 700 Ski doo conversaion and im allready concerned with the trans an CVs holding up.

sicksand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:53:46 PM »
Quote from: "Odyknuck"
What is that engine? One thing to keep in mind is power to weight ratio. To much HP will be more of a hindrence than an asset to you. If all your doing is spinning the the knobsof of your rear wheels and the only thing you ever see is the sky...................Well you get the picture. Also keep in mind that the drive train needs to be able to handle the HP with out breaking. Im doing a 700 Ski doo conversaion and im allready concerned with the trans an CVs holding up.
it is a polaris engine,I agree with what your saying.I don't know if its true but a guy at a shop said that you could get a 440 engine that would be alot better then a 583 rotax.I know that the 440 is what they use in the sno-cross series.I know that its not always about the number on the side ans far as the performance goes.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »
From a raw torque standpoint there is no replacement for displacement.
With the right clutch tunning you can run a larger engine at lower RPMs on the trails and still have plenty of torque to get up the hills and thru the mud . The 440 is designed to run at high RPMs all the time. When I started thinking about the conversion the 440 was my first thought however I have since changed my mine. an MXZ500 would be the lowest I would go. A 600 is probaly your best option. Plenty of power but not way to much and it has the displacement. I would stick with 2000 to 2002 Ski doo.