Author Topic: Nuke Em....  (Read 4367 times)

Weed

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« on: February 27, 2007, 09:43:30 PM »
Hows the head?

nuke em

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:45:55 PM »
Not bad, but not right either(I know, you guys knew that). LOL I still have a bad headache after a full week since the tumble. I went to the doc on base and he said I definately had a concussion(no shit). I will get a CT scan with dye(doesn't sound like fun) Thursday. I am having a little trouble with focusing on work too.

Ok, for the guys who do not know yet, heres what happened...I did roll up the 420 off a dune on the 3rd day there. The buggy got minimal damage and I got a concussion.

It was pretty windy overnight and left fresh razorbacks everywhere.
The wind changed the last dune along a ridge before dropping down on a long thin dune sometime that night. When I came up over the nice rounded top of the dune, the bottom just went away. I went 119ft before the first impact, which was on the top rear of the cage and proceded to go end over end several times and landing on the wheels(of course) 275ft at the bottom. I happen to have two cameras running, one the front and Hoser's helmet cam on the rear. The front one dislodged and landed in the sand but the helmet cam stayed put. The violent rolling did not allow the camera to run until I was just finishing the last roll. A few seconds after I roll out onto the desert floor, I started the engine and take off around the side of the dune then up it. When I get to the top, I stop and back up several feet then go back down partially. Thats when the quad guy I was riding with found me. I stop, get out and start talking(some jibberish), staggering around, and inspecting the damage. Dented the lid, 8" chunk out of the rear fender, bent the radiator into the head net but the cage looks straight.

Next he goes and gets the missing camcorder from the crash site and returns with it still running. We then walk up to the edge where I launched from with his camera taking pictures of the impacts. This is where I start remembering things since going over the edge. I remember going off the edge and thinking...aw shit, not again. Then I was standing there looking down. I lost out on about 10 minutes, and I still have a bad headache. I was never really out, just do not remember anything. Good thing I had the tape to show me.

Still waiting on some more pictures to get sent to me. I will post the vid clips, forward and from the rear, soon. Here is a quick picture of me on the trike where I drove off the dune and the cameraman is where the 420 came to rest.
 :shock:
Gary

Weed

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 12:05:15 AM »
I had a CT of my head a year ago.  The dye makes your body feel like it is on fire......you will soon find out....hope all is good....

turbotexas

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:06:32 PM »
I hope you are ok also!!! Maybe you can put a parachute on for the next ride!!!

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:26:46 PM »
Hope you get to feeling back to normal soon. Don't worry about the CT. Its nothing but a fancy xray. The dye might make you feel a little flushed for a few seconds, but that wont last long. Hope the 350 didn't suffer too badly. How'd id run....we know it flys well now :)

nuke em

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 09:27:56 PM »
It wasn't very bad at all. It did leave a bad taste in my mouth..."thats what she said", sorry couldn't resist saying that! LMAO  The doc will look them over today so I do not see him until tomorrow. Can't be too bad, otherwise I would be dead already.

The 350 ran great after I got it jetted close. It was hitting 60MPH on the flat sand of the parking lot with the 25" tires, but seemed a bit boggy from a rolling start or steep hill climbs. Could be clutching too????? This rebuild didn't seem to make the power of the other setup but this piston is much heavier but properly balanced so longevity should go up alot. I think it did burn/melt the inner O ring. I was starting to blow compression into the coolant system just like last time. Oh well, still have a few bugs to work out.

The roll knocked a small chunk out of one rear fender, no biggy, they were frankenstiened repaired anyway. I did break off one upper radiator mounting tab but should be easily rewelded back on. The radiator itself is tweeked forward on the top upper corner. Not sure how to straighten it but it doesn't leak. My lid pan is dented in, but thats another easy fix. Been there, fixed that several times now. LOL

Here are a few pics to look at...

nuke em

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:02:42 PM »
A few more...

turbotexas

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 10:01:02 AM »
I hope you are feeling better... "It's a long way from your heart!!!" (an old rodeo saying...)
Those are some great pictures!!! I saw the video's...
Ouch..
I bought some rear works shocks, waiting for me at the house, but I am wondering how your fronts are working??? That's next on the wish list...
Shocks
Beadlocks
new rear clutch
nerf bars
bumbers
Long travel front(maybe)
Then I'll buy a Pilot!!

turbotexas

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 01:17:08 PM »
I forgot something on my wishlist... A good highback seat!!!

Quote from: "turbotexas"
I hope you are feeling better... "It's a long way from your heart!!!" (an old rodeo saying...)
Ouch..
I bought some rear works shocks, waiting for me at the house, but I am wondering how your fronts are working??? That's next on the wish list...
Shocks
Beadlocks
new rear clutch
nerf bars
bumbers
Long travel front(maybe)
Then I'll buy a Pilot!!

nuke em

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 05:17:40 PM »
Some damage pictures...

nuke em

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 05:38:02 PM »
I forgot something on my wishlist... A good highback seat!!!

Ouch..
Shocks
Beadlocks
new rear clutch
nerf bars
bumbers
Long travel front(maybe)
Then I'll buy a Pilot!!

Great wish list David. I do have a couple of highback Kirkey circle track seats. They sit too high for my liking so I built a lowering frame to drop the seat a couple of inches. I added Simpson 5 point harnesses and a tilt to the front of the seat so you can easily access the engine area. I can post some pics of the fabbed seat mounts and tilt if you are interested in seeing how I made mine.

gary

turbotexas

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 07:46:18 PM »
The tilt is a good idea!!! I like how the stock seat sits, but I sat in a pilot that had a beard seat and Oh My Gosh!!! After what happened with you I think this will get bumped up on the list with new seatbelts and I am looking at a neck brace for the helmet like nascar uses... My neck is already messed up, don't want it getting worse...

nuke em

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 09:10:19 PM »
Here are a few pics of the seat mod I did. The kirkey seat is no Beard seat as far as comfort, but keeps you better in place by having large sides along the leg/thigh and rib areas. Mine seems to give a little more leg room too. I am putting another Kirkey in the 600 project.

I use a neck collar when I want to ride hard, but did not have it on during my "incedent". LOL I was not planning on getting crazy.

nuke em

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 09:23:02 PM »
Forgot to show tilt. I have a concussion, give me a break! LMAO! :P

turbotexas

• View Profile
Nuke Em....
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 12:08:07 AM »
Yea but I have BLONDE hair so I am that way 24/7!!! You will recover from your concussion, best I can hope for is to go totally bald!!!
LOL