Author Topic: Fl350 Fluids  (Read 2746 times)

kentj14

• View Profile
Fl350 Fluids
« on: February 17, 2007, 10:25:52 AM »
Hey Everybody,

I just bought an 85 350 for my wife and just have some simple questions that could use answering.

The Electric starter has difficulty starting sometimes and from the research I've done it seems like it might be the oil in the starter issue. SO If I change out the oil what is the best replacement? 10W30 Synthetic? And only to the lower mark on the dipstick?  

I live at around 1000-2000 Feet above sea level, and it's Jetted for Phoenix AZ. (Which is close enough to here) Where it's really hot summers would it be better to use a heavier weight like a 10W40 or what?

Any info is great. Love the Site.

Thanks Guys
-Kent

turbotexas

• View Profile
Fl350 Fluids
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 11:51:40 AM »
It might also be a battery issue??? Charge it up overnight with a trickle charger and see what happens... I have even used my truck to "jumpstart" Mine...
Welcome to the board!!!

kentj14

• View Profile
Another Question
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 06:53:36 PM »
My wife's new FL350 has an aftermarket aluminum gravity feed tank. The problem is that if it sits for too long with the gas on it starts to drain through the carburetor (overflow?) until you turn off the gas. Even if the bike is running.

It doesn't have a petcock, it has like a ball valve that acts as the gas on/off. I don't know if that is normal or if there should be something there to stop it from doing that. (Vacuum line??)

I could run a hose from the carburetor to a reservoir just to catch it, but I don't know if that is a common problem or not....

-Kent

turbotexas

• View Profile
Fl350 Fluids
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 11:07:34 PM »
Do you still have the stock tank??? If so you can run it into the the return line on the stock tank and cure this problem... I bellieve the carb is set up for a fuel pump, and not gravity feed??? I am not sure how to chang he carb to gravity system???

kentj14

• View Profile
Stock Tank
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 12:22:18 AM »
No, apparently they Removed the Stock tank at some point. But It is a Keinan Carb, So I could just find one that's setup for gravity feed. That makes sense. Good thing I asked that.

Thanks for the help I'll check it out tommorrow.

-Kent

kentj14

• View Profile
Carb Advice
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 01:53:32 AM »
Can anyone suggest a good carb for a gravity fed Ody? Any advice would be great.

-Thanks

Kent

Weed

• View Profile
Fl350 Fluids
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 05:01:54 PM »
All carbs will work with either pump fed or gravity fed fuel supplies.  Your problem is your float valve in the carburetor.  Either the valve itself is defective or the float level needs to be set.  

Is the carb new?  If it is used, was it set up for alcohol?  Methanol alcohol will eat up rubber, and as you might have guessed the tip of the float valve is rubber and it is what maintains the fuel level in the carb bowl.  If the seal is compromised, your carb will leak like a flour sieve.  Your problem is a simple fix, a rebuild kit for a Keihin is less than $25

kentj14

• View Profile
Stock Carb
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »
What is the Stock carb on an Fl350? It looks decent, (I.E. Not Covered in Junk) But it could easily be the original. I guess I just need to take it off and gt the size so I can order a rebuild.

Thanks for ll the help.

-Kent

turbotexas

• View Profile
Re: Stock Carb
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »
Quote from: "kentj14"
What is the Stock carb on an Fl350? It looks decent, (I.E. Not Covered in Junk) But it could easily be the original. I guess I just need to take it off and gt the size so I can order a rebuild.

Thanks for ll the help.

-Kent

Yea someone else might have swiched them out..