Author Topic: Where's the VIN #s / good buy?  (Read 12677 times)

P.S.baja

• View Profile
Where's the VIN #s / good buy?
« on: November 26, 2006, 01:53:50 PM »
Well I have wanted to get a odyssey for awhile now and a coworker has one for sale.  It was purchased by the current owner in Michigan about 15 years ago.  They never registered it in California when they moved here about 5 years ago.  He can not find the title so I will need to take it to the DMV to check the VIN numbers to get a new title for it.  I have done this in the past with a 250R three wheeler but they had to have a bill of sale and they checked both the frame and engine VIN numbers and then they sent me a new title.  

So where are the VIN # on a 85 FL350?

Next issue, right now she does not run.  About 2 years ago she died on him while going through the wash.  He never did rejet when he moved hear from Michigan and he said it did run a little hot.  He said in the past 10 years he has only put about 30 hours on it BUT.... I am expecting to have to rebuild the engine but it may be something simple like a bad fuel pump or clogged carb.  Won't know for sure until I get it in my garage.  From what I have read here I can probably do a rebuild about $200.  Would like to do water cooled but because $ is tight I will need to find a used WC head.  After all I live in the desert and it can get real hot here (120 f but who rides when it is that hot out)

The overall condition is pretty darn good for its age.  Can't find any bent parts and it does not look like she has ever been rolled.  there is some minor surface rust on the bottom of the frame but that is kinda expected being it was in Michigan for the first 10 years of it's life.  He said the belt was never replaced and it looks barely warn so I think he is being honest about the minimal use on her.  No reason not to trust the guy, after all I work with his wife...

Anyone sell a rebuild kit for it or will I need to make a list and buy the needed parts.  Probably should rebuild the carb too (or maybe first to make sure it is not a carb issue in the first place).

I did check to see if there is compresson, but my gauge is messed and I can not trust the actual readings, But it does pressurize so I do not think there is a hole in the piston.  

Looks like I can pick it up for around $800.  for a Odyssey that is not running is that a good price?  Does $200 to rebuild it sound about right?  

Thanks in advance.  I will be here doing allot of reading before I actually buy it and more if I do buy it...  

Great site lots of info..

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:31:16 PM »
800 is very good for that machine if everything is there. Expect a rebuild to cost anywhere between 300 and 1000 dollars. Ed and Sara at EEE in California are probably the best ones to send your motor to if you can't handle the rebuild. You can expect to spend another 100-400 dollars in maintenance items that have been ignored for the last 15 years.

Triple E enterprises  1-800-763-3762  Expert FL350 motor work, and makers of a stadium lite. Call Ed or Sara

Here is a copy of the 350 manual in electronic format as well.

http://www.atlanticpaints.com/Manuals/PDF%20Files/ODYSSEY%20FL350.pdf

P.S.baja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 07:35:03 PM »
Thanks for the link to the manual, I downloaded it when I found this SWEET site a few days ago.  One thing I know is to research before you buy a toy that will be a project.  Forums like this got me through my VWbaja project and she is almost ready for sale (unless the wife decides to keep for the rest of the season)....  

I plan to rebuild it myself if needed.  Never done a 2 stroke before so if I buy her I got lots of read to do.  I am mechanically inclined so I think I can do it at home.  That way I can use the $ for parts not labor..

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
rebuild
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 07:24:40 PM »
You will have to at least get it bored by a shop with the right equipment.

P.S.baja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:17:12 PM »
The person I am getting it from said it had siezed on him every now and then but when he let it cool it would run again.  The last time it siezed/died on him it would not start back up after it cooled or ever sence....  I am assuming that there was not enough piston clearance and/or the bridge needs to be relieved, and now there is damage to the pistion and or rings.  

As described here.

http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/350rebuild/

I will probally will have to keep her air cooler for now (unless i can find a use WC head).

From the artical in the above link:

"I normally run .005" clearance with Wiseco pistons. If you have modified your motor and it is still air cooled, you may need to run more."

1)  SO.. when I have the cylinder bored how much clearace should I set it up for.  0.005 or..................

"Two small holes need to be drilled in the front of the piston where the piston makes contact with the bridge."

2) I am assuming the holes are drilled all the way through the one side of the pison, not just a "counter sink".  From the pick it is a little hard to tell.

3) Whats a starting point for the Jets?  I am nearly at sea level.

There are a few local Motorcycle/ATV shops that bore it it localy.  Got quotes from $60 to $80..  BUT if I can get a package deal from someone (HINT HINT) that includes a bore, piston, rings, wrist pin and bearing, and a gasket set, maybe I will just send it out and have it down by a vendor here...  

P.S. I started this tread when thinking about buying the fl350.  I have the deal locked in just waiting for my work to process a vacation payout so I can buy it and rebuild the engine....

Thanks in advance.....................

Thanks in advance

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
rebuild
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 08:56:09 PM »
I also have some cosmetic blem heads for $250. There were some various issues getting a good finish on the top when tooling up on the last batch.

The holes go all the way through the piston wall.

With it sitting that long, I would also replace the crank seals. You can drive screws into them and yank them from the outside without splitting the case halves.

I would get your piston ordered before Jan 1. I am already seeing price increases on things. Works shocks went up on 11/2 by $40 a pair MSRP.

P.S.baja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 12:39:16 AM »
thanks again for the input.  Going to have to wait until my 73 VW baja Bug gets sold and I get a trailer for the toys (fl350, and two quads) before before I can do a WC setup.

P.S.baja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 01:42:07 PM »
Ok, here is my shoping list for the top end rebuild.  What am I forgetting?

FL350-Head gasket (OEM)
FL350-NGK BR9ES spark plug
FL350-NGK BR8ES spark plug
FL350-Wiseco piston kit: 80mm
FL350-Ceramic and teflon coating option for piston. Includes drilling of lube/cooling holes. Normally stocked
FL350-Wrist pin bearing
FL350-Keihin main jets   (please suggest size two sizes for aprox 200 ft)
FL350-Keihin slow jets     (please suggest size two sizes for aprox 200 ft)
FL350-Gasket cylinder base
FL350-Gasket crankcase
Services-FL350 - Bore cylinder to piston, bevel ports and relief exhaust port bridge

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 08:32:32 AM »
I suggest a BR9ES air cooled and a BR8ES water cooled. A 45 slow jet usually works well to crisp up the throttle response. For the main, you should doa plug chop to see which way you need to go. email me, mailto:[email protected]

P.S.baja

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 07:05:21 PM »
Well I picked it up last Friday and have disassembled the top end and carb, gas tank, and what not?..  The piston was defiantly scuffing the exhaust bridge.    I sent the cylinder out to Triple E yesterday.  They are only about 2 hours away from me so I decided to go with them to save on shipping cost and time.  It should be ready for me to pick up Saturday along with a FAT list of parts I need.  So far my shopping list is up to about $500, don?t tell the wife LOL.

$800 Plus $500 in parts = Not Bad, The kids will have a great gift for X-Mas.  

Ok, I do plan to ride it just as much as them, Again don?t tell the Wife LOL

The plan is to get her running or close to it this weekend.  

Wish me luck?.

P.S. Any Ideas of how to put a throttle limiter on it while the kids learn to ride a little better?   Something rather simple to bypass/remove later.  Maybe just loosen the throttle cable up where all the way down would be more like ? throttle?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 10:01:30 PM »
I had a big long reply typed up the other day before the board went kaput. Ed and Sara will do right by you. Have them measure the bore before you buy a piston. The recalled cylinders were 78.5 mm in dia and the "stock" size wiseco piston is based on the pre-recall cylinder diameter of 80 mm. With the 350's, cylinders are hard to come by so you don't want to waste any bores if you don't have to.

I don't want to sound like a salesman but here is my pitch. I have a NOS FL350 piston and ring set .5mm over or 79 mm. From what I understand these are no longer available through honda.

Hillside honda is the best place to get parts. Try and get Trevor. 707-263-9000. Tell him you are with the pilot-odyssey group and you want the good guy discount. It might save you a bunch.

As far as a throttle control/governer goes, a piece of round stock with the same OD as the carb slide sitting between the carb slide and the slide cap will prevent the slide from opening all the way.

Good luck with the build, and w'ell answer any questions you might have.

DunePilot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 10:28:10 PM »
.....w'ell answer any questions you might have.

REALLY???  :lol:  How about these?

What is your name?

What is your favorite color?

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Swallow?
DP

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 12:01:25 AM »
African or European?  I love "The Holy Grail"!

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 12:17:24 AM »
How did I know that was coming :)

DunePilot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 01:06:57 AM »
African or European?

Oh...I don't that!   :shock:

Every once in a while on Sirius 105, they replay some of Graham Chapmans bits...
DP