Author Topic: 350/420 replacement cylinder sleeve  (Read 3152 times)

nuke em

• View Profile
350/420 replacement cylinder sleeve
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:19:29 AM »
I decided to start hunting for the replacement sleeve for the Leckich 420/350 cylinder. I am pretty sure I can hone it and put another piston back in but it may be on its last bore now at 88.50MM. DH was pretty sure they made the sleeves, I really appreciate all the info greatly. Anyway, I emailed LA Sleeve a few days back and I will let you read what they said. Any suggestions? I would like to make another jug or two setup with these sleeves............

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:23 AM

Subject: 85 Odyssey sleeve

Hi,

I recently bought a Leckich Co. liquid cooled stadium racer cylinder for one of my 350 Odysseys. It is currently bored to 88.50MM and looks to be near the largest bore. I do know that the guy who built these got the sleeves from your company and built 1500 race cylinders. I know the largest bore for a stock 350 is 82MM and this sleeve is much larger. Is there any chance anyone there has records of what sleeve he bought from you? I am guessing it could be a CR450 or CR480 air cooled cylinder sleeve. If you have any pictures and specs on these so I can compare it to what I have now. Thanks for any help on this problem.

TSgt Gary Herren USAF

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:48 PM
To: Herren, Gary L TSgt 90 OSS/OSBO
Subject: Re: 85 Odyssey sleeve

I know we made those sleeves for Lekich. But, I cannot locate any record. Whatever we build will probably be from scratch. Not sure on price but maybe $275 per sleeve. Let me know if you'd like to proceed. Thanks, dave@lasleeve

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 12:39:06 AM »
275 ouch. Might be time to explore factory liquid cooling from another bike or quad and/or sled motor options.

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 01:13:16 PM »
I have been mulling around the idea of just that too. I can have the mounting tabs relocted on a CR500 liq jug to fit the 350 bottom end, but the CR rod is wider on the bottom end than the 350 rod by a few thousandths. Maybe I can have a little material removed from the inside areas of the crank to allow clearance or remove some from the big end of the rod. Next hurdle would be to figure the stroke difference. I could relocate the crank pin(big$ prob) or work on the cylinder to match the stroke for flow.

Anyone have a CR500 jug laying around for sale?? Ebay is the next logical place i guess.

gary

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 09:11:38 PM »
Talk with livewire. He has done some preliminary research on different cylinders that might possibly work on the 350 bottom ends.

Ozpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 06:44:23 PM »
Is there any chance of moving the technology forward a decade or so?  I've got a Husky WR360 that has amazing power spread.  The porting is like the modern Rotax sleds and it has a power valve.  I'm not saying use Husky stuff (it would be too hard anyhow because of the power valve actuation) but there must be others you could use - maybe one jug off a SkiDoo mxz 700 (you'd have to do something with the top of the head because it spans both cylinders but the jugs are separate and the head domes are separate (I think - from memory).
Just throwing around a few ideas.  Since there is no really good solution kicking around that is tried and proven, you might as well put your efforts into something that has the latest technology.

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 11:17:51 AM »
I am working with some guys who have worked on these race cylinders before, from Kustom Kraft. I'll let you know how it turns out.

http://kustom-kraft.com/index.html

I do like how you think Ozpilot, out-side the box, something new or different. I do have a 600 Artic Cat EFI engine I got from Moskito for the 3rd odyssey, to be installed later this winter. I'll be posting alot about it when i start.

Thanks,
Gary