Author Topic: Belt size for FL250 with different engine  (Read 3760 times)

clsharky

• View Profile
Belt size for FL250 with different engine
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:45:01 PM »
Hi.  I've posted this question to the forum at www.Buggynews.com and one of the members suggested I post it here.  I am trying to figure out what size belt I need for my 1981 FL250. My problem is that my machine does not have the original engine, the Honda engine was replaced with a Bombardier Rotax 247 engine. Currently, the belt installed is 45" long (outside diameter) and 1 1/16" wide, made by Dayco. I took a measurement with a nylon tape measure around both pulleys, 40 3/4" approximately. With the engine off, there is 2" of deflection in the current belt, which I think is too much play. When the engine is idling, you can see the belt pulsating in and out. On take off, you have to rev the engine quite high for the clutch to engage, but the belt does not slip and the machine will move. It does not have a very high top speed, probably only around 25-30 km/h.

After doing some reasearch, I found out that the original belt is 41 3/8" long and almost 1" wide. To me, that seems like it might be a bit too tight, but after reading the sticky on CVT trannies and a few other articles on the net, it sounds like the belt should be fairly tight in order for the CVT system to work properly.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the secondary clutch is original, the engine is the only component that has been changed. Unfortunately, none of the work was done by myself.

Thanks
Sharky

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 02:18:53 PM »
I am out of my area of expertice but... I would try and figure if it is possible if the original sled driven clutch would fit the ody tranny shaft then adjust the distance by moving the engine. You can also try and find a shorter belt. Any pictures?

clsharky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 09:37:14 PM »
Thanks for the input.  As far as using the clutch off the snowmobile, I was not the person who transplanted the Rotax engine in the Odyssey, so I am not exactly sure what kind of snowmobile it even came out of.  I know it was a Skidoo (Bombardier) machine, but I have no idea what model or year.

After some playing around with belts and engine mount shimming, I think I know what size belt I need now.  It's more or less a guessing game, but at least the place I bought the new belt from will let me exchange it if it isn't the right size I need.

Sharky

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Belt
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 08:41:09 AM »
You may just need a wider belt to get the drive clutch to engage properly. The sled's clutch is probably for around a 1 1/4 belt. The problem is it won't fit the stock driven. The Comet driven clutch is setup for a 1 1/4 belt.