Author Topic: Video of the 600 lt Pilot vs Ted's Pilot?  (Read 2482 times)

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Video of the 600 lt Pilot vs Ted's Pilot?
« on: September 17, 2006, 07:56:19 PM »
I'd love to see the comparison, please.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 10:49:58 AM »
Video of what exactly? In action?  :?  :?:

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:36:38 AM »
I'm sorry for not being more clear. :oops: Yes, I was thinking of some performance testing, drag racing, hill climbing, etc. I'm thinking of doing an engine swap like yours and wondered how much it may add. Thanks, Dave C.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:14:53 PM »
Hmm...I'll see what I can do.

I've just been playing a bit with the clutching on the 600. Right now it's pretty...."soft" on engagement...great for trail riding....not the way to go for dragging....The stock spring and weights made it burn the tires on pavement...when sticky, it would wheelie! But no fun in the trails....4500-5000 rpm engagement!!

Top speed I do not think is much higher (and I'm fine with that, wasn't my aim) but the acceleration is unreal. :shock:

I just have to swap rads...think I'll try a civic rad and fan.

I'll try and get some video of the two of them together soon....been awhile since I took any video....it's about time again ;)

greasemnky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »
The civic radiator will work out great! Thats what I origionally planned to use on the 583, but found a bike rad, that worked better with the rotax cooling system. Look on ebay, theres a company selling all alum. racing radiators for about 70 bucks +s/h. They are MUCH better than the stockers. Stocker rad's have plastic end tanks, and aren't very thick. If you go with an aftermarket all alum radiator, you'll never have heating issues.

Ozpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 07:38:02 PM »
The only problem with a video of the 600 and Ted's pilot is that Ted's is already extremely potent.  It would only show the benefit of the 600 over a pilot that already goes about as hard as any 400 could.  

Lude, it's very telling to see that you're presently tuning the 600 so it doesn't wheelie and doesn't have a massive top speed.  Just goes to show those things do not indicate that a pilot is a good one - there are plenty of other characteristics that maximise the fun factor and make them "quick" in the type of riding we all enjoy (ie they get there faster overall - not just in a straight line)

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 08:22:43 AM »
I agree that a high top speed and the ability to wheelie aren't desirable, but I don't see a reason to go through the trouble of dropping the engine in if it's no quicker (not faster) than a modified Pilot engine. I figure that's why ludedude did it, and I'm wondering if I should do it to my LT. I'm not the type who likes to modify things, but i need to keep up with these guys.

http://downhomeracing.com/videos/Bobs_09-17-06_heat.wmv

http://downhomeracing.com/videos/Bobs_09-17-06_main.wmv

I wish they would have built something more comparable to a Pilot, but now I need to step up.