Author Topic: Newbie here!  (Read 1797 times)

rzmax

• View Profile
Newbie here!
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:43:42 PM »
I'm a newbie to the site. Looks like loads of great info. Looking forward to browsing through it all. I've had my pilot for about 10 years and have never had a problem with it. Well sort of. Last season the left rear wheel bearings completely grenaded ruining the axle, hub and knuckle. So I decided its time for a complete frame up rebuild. Frame is in for powder coating now and a bunch of new goodies are on order from atvr and odysseysalvage.com. My question to you guys is with everything off, should I go through the gearbox, clutch, drive pulleys or any thing else? Also, I'm having a hard time with the stop rings in the rear a-arms. Got the fronts out no problem but the rears are killing me. Any tips? I'm also in need of a rollbar in any condition as long as its straight. Any help would be appreciated.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 09:19:15 AM »
Welcome to the site!

On the tranny - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Drain the oil, check it for any sort of particles.  The Pilot tranny has proven to be very reliable.  If you have an 89, then it has issues with getting it into gear (reverse or forward) - it was an issue that Honda addressed in 90.  No biggie.

About the only thing that seems to go wrong with the tranny is the slipper clutch - and that's usually only when you've added quite a bit of HP.  You can check the slipper by looking at the color of the clutch.  It should be a nice, shiny aluminum color.  If it's slipping, it'll develop heat and they start changing to a bluish/brown.  If it's slipping, then worry about it and change out all the plates (four, as I recall) and the springs..  If not, leave it alone.

Stock drive clutch?  Time for a new one more than likely.  Get a Power-Bloc from ATV Racing.

I don't follow about the stop rings comment in the rear a-arms...  What part(s) are you refering to?  Where are these rings and what do they do?

Good luck on finding a straight roll bar - they pretty much don't exist.  Pony up the money and get one of the chromoly units from ATVR.  I wasn't ever able to tweak mine and I tried farily often....   :shock:

Once again, welcome to the site.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

rzmax

• View Profile
Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 10:00:08 PM »
The stop rings hold the spherical bearings in the upper arms. The front a-arms have them as well but those came right out. Went after work today to get some small dental like pics and those don't work either. :huh: I'll scratch my head a little more and see what I can come up with. By the way I need to get them out to get the arms chrome plated. Thanks for your help.

Moskito

• View Profile
Newbie here!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:39:45 AM »
Uh...

They should come out the same way the front ones did.

Get everything nice and clean and then try again?

When all else fails, I like using a BFH* - preferably a 5 lb unit.   :shock:

* BFH - Big F*****g Hammer
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
stop rings
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »
I was able to get mine out with one of the SMALL flat head screwdrivers...I just tapped the head in between the ring and the a-arm, then was able to grab on to it with needle nose pliers...
If you haven't found out yet, the bearings are fairly $$$$ to replace...If you get them out, go back with the delrin bushings...They are cheaper and hold up very well...
Hoodlum

Moskito

• View Profile
Newbie here!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 10:17:43 PM »
AHA!!!  I know the issue...

If you can't get one ring out, try the other side.  The little bearing thing tends to move back and forth a bit and if it's up against the ring, you can't remove the ring.  Try tapping the bearing thing away from the ring and then see if you can persuade the ring out.