Author Topic: Help with my FL250  (Read 4123 times)

Creation

• View Profile
Help with my FL250
« on: September 09, 2006, 03:38:50 AM »
I almost rolled it about a month ago, ever since then, its ran like crap. Then about 3 days ago, I noticed that I couldn't even pull the starter! I can get maybe a foot of rope out and then it gets stuck and pulls on the whole motor. Then, if I pull the spark plugs out it can be pulled fine. The piston and head all look like the day my moms BF bought it *in 1982*, he cant figure it out either. Can anyone out there relate to this and help me out please?

Ive checked the head, rebuilt the pull starter and put my spare on it, and replaced the flywheel, its all still locked up, this is also causing no gas to be run through the lines =(

I'm also getting a FL350 sometime soon, I love these machines and if I could make one street legal, I would drive it more than my truck!

-Anthony M.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Help with my FL250
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 08:34:18 AM »
Welcome to the site.

Just to get things straight - it will turn over w/the pull starter, but locks up after just a bit of tugging.

If you pull the plug, it turns over fine.

Is this correct?

Okay, first thing - when you go thru this and then pull the plug, what does the plug look like?  Is it wet?

If it is, it sounds like you have a stuck needle & seat and/or float and it's flooding the engine.

Take the carb off, turn it over and take the bowl off the carb.  What's it look like inside?  Dirty?  Clean?  Nasty stuff in the bottom of the bowl?

It's a place to start.

Once again, welcome to the board.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Creation

• View Profile
Help with my FL250
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »
Hey Moskito! I have seen you at Kiowa's place, That problem happend a year ago, but this time, the plugs are free of gas and arent wet at all *just a wee bit around the sides nothing on the actual spark part of the plug*

It makes a squeaking noise and then a metal to metal ping when I do pull it. It literally gave me bruises on my hand to try and pull it so im not going to anymore. I know I cracked a lil bit of the gearbox, but that was able to turn freely so i doubt thats it.

Thanks for the fast reply =)

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Help with my FL250
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 12:17:59 AM »
It makes a squeaking noise and then a metal to metal ping when I do pull it

Metal to metal=not good. Pull the exhaust pipe and look inside the exhaust port with a flashlight and tell us what you see.

Creation

• View Profile
Help with my FL250
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 01:44:32 AM »
I took the whole engine out, the exaust port shows a black mess of gunk and a lovely looking silver piston.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Help with my FL250
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 12:03:43 PM »
I wonder what the stator plate looks like. You said you pulled the flywheel......You might want to look behind it again. There are several variations of the flywheel. Points 6v, points 12v, and 12v CDI. Maybe you put a points type flywheel on a CDI motor...not good.

Creation

• View Profile
Help with my FL250
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 06:44:22 PM »
If I did that... could I have badly f'd it up? I hope not...

EDIT- I checked, its the same as the old one.

Creation

• View Profile
Help with my FL250
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »
Well I basically checked everything I know how to do and.... i HAVE NO FLIPPING CLUE!!!!  :(  This sucks, I dont know anything about a 2 stroke engine. I just know that it gets a spark, pulls over fine when there is no spark plug and when I pull it, its jerks the engine all around, already broke a rubber engine mount! Im actually thinking about just giving it away. :(

Creation

• View Profile
Help with my FL250
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 11:58:26 PM »
Okay well I got it to run, bit it dies after a few minutes, the pull starter is now too hard for me to pull and i have bruises on my hands... is there anything that any of you know? The only way for me to start it is to prime the cylinder with gas....please you all, i really need help!

When it did run, there was that metal to metal sound like when I pulled it =\

Ozpilot

• View Profile
Help with my FL250
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 07:54:01 PM »
Check whether the flywheel on the ignition is on right.  If the key has been damaged or it's not tight enough it could move around a little and cause the troubles you're having.

I haven't really followed what you've done already so I may be a mile off but it may be worth trying.