Author Topic: broken brake line on my 350  (Read 3329 times)

3odystrong

broken brake line on my 350
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:15:46 PM »
Hello all, I am new to this board and would like to say hello-I am also new to these machines so please bear with me while I ask a few "newbie" questions about my 350 odyssey.I have a broken brake line on my 350, it is the rear line and it has broken about 2 inches from the master where the line has a bend to it, is there anybody who may know of a distributor who has connectors or mabye a stainless line I could screw into the master and then attach using a connector into the stock line perhaps? is there a easy way to just install a connector into the line and still use the stock end by chance?It was my thinking to eliminate the stock end with the flare and just use a piece of stainless in it place-the odyssey has a aftermarket front end suspension on it (which was installed by the previous owner)which uses stainless lines already so am I thinking the right way here? :(

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »
There are a few people that make and/or offer them:

Try the store that's associated with this web site

Aftershock Motorsports offers them - The guy that owns this company (LiveWire) is on this board and the Pilot-Odyssey board quite often, so finding him should be easy.

ATV Racing also offers them.

You can also just go to a site that sells Earl's or Russel fittings and make your own.

One thing to remember is that the stuff you're going to find will be SAE, while the Oddy is metric.  Adaptors are offered by everyone that makes or offers the parts to make the lines.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Brake line
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 10:18:31 AM »
I suggest getting the braided line...It helps the brakes tremendously...Also, get the ones for the front while your at it...You won't believe the difference...
If for some reason you can't swing the braided lines, let me know...I have a stock line that I will be glad to send you...
Hoodlum

3odystrong

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:51:20 PM »
Quote from: "Moskito"
There are a few people that make and/or offer them:

Try the store that's associated with this web site

Aftershock Motorsports offers them - The guy that owns this company (LiveWire) is on this board and the Pilot-Odyssey board quite often, so finding him should be easy.

ATV Racing also offers them.

You can also just go to a site that sells Earl's or Russel fittings and make your own.

One thing to remember is that the stuff you're going to find will be SAE, while the Oddy is metric.  Adaptors are offered by everyone that makes or offers the parts to make the lines.

thanks very much for the help Moskito-Hoodlum.I was going to post the same question you answered -SAE OR STANDARD -thanks much
As far as the replacement of the line-is there a certain length I should look for, or do you guys happen to know a part number for a stainless hose by chance?
I went to the Aftershock Motorsports webpage, very informative :D  wow! he has alot of parts for these machines!!It was refreshing to see  the aftermarket front end suspension kit thats currently installed on my 350 has parts  that can be purchased if needed-big relief for me!!! I will check on Earls page for a "adaptor " first, hopefully I can just find 1 for both.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Hard line
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 12:50:34 PM »
The hard line is 3/16 line with a 10mm fitting on it. It is a standard 45 degree double flare. You can buy a line with the correct fitting at most auto parts stores. In fact, the small piece of hard line that I used to provide with my front stainless kits was purchased from an auto parts store. It cost me just as much to buy the individual pieces plus I had to do the flare. I would buy them double length, then cut them in half to install and AN3 fitting on the other end. I now just use a custom made braided line for that as well. You are probably not going to find a pre-fab hard line long enough line to go all the way from the back to the front at an auto parts store though. You could get a coupler, reflare what is left of the line and use a small pre-fab line from the coupler to the master cylinder. Another option is to buy hard line in bulk and flare both ends. A third option is to replace the entire hard line with stainless braided line. If doing that, I would go all the way from the master cylinder to the rear brake caliper. That way there are less fittings to leak. I only have the rear line from the hard line to the caliper in stock. I am about to place another brake line order though and could get you a custom line made.

3odystrong

Re: Hard line
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 09:25:56 PM »
Quote from: "LiveWire"
The hard line is 3/16 line with a 10mm fitting on it. It is a standard 45 degree double flare. You can buy a line with the correct fitting at most auto parts stores. In fact, the small piece of hard line that I used to provide with my front stainless kits was purchased from an auto parts store. It cost me just as much to buy the individual pieces plus I had to do the flare. I would buy them double length, then cut them in half to install and AN3 fitting on the other end. I now just use a custom made braided line for that as well. You are probably not going to find a pre-fab hard line long enough line to go all the way from the back to the front at an auto parts store though. You could get a coupler, reflare what is left of the line and use a small pre-fab line from the coupler to the master cylinder. Another option is to buy hard line in bulk and flare both ends. A third option is to replace the entire hard line with stainless braided line. If doing that, I would go all the way from the master cylinder to the rear brake caliper. That way there are less fittings to leak. I only have the rear line from the hard line to the caliper in stock. I am about to place another brake line order though and could get you a custom line made.

What would that cost ball park?I probably to be honest will just go with the small pre-fab line to the master as you mentioned but it doesnt hurt to ask right?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
rough guess
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 10:09:49 PM »
Maybe $60. If you don't already have stainless line from the hard line to the rear caliper, it will really firm up the brake feel.

3odystrong

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 09:25:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I think I'll try the couplier and new line method first-appreciate the help--

Odyknuck

• View Profile
brake line
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 10:52:34 PM »
I may have the stock line
Steve
440-427-0546

3odystrong

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 10:48:25 PM »
Hi, I installed a couplier and new section of line-I am awaiting a fitting for the master cylinder to attach the line and bleed out the system-I would be interested in the line though-can you PM shipping and costs for it by chance?Thanks for the help- :D

3odystrong

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 06:18:46 PM »
Quote from: "3odystrong"
Hi, I installed a couplier and new section of line-I am awaiting a fitting for the master cylinder to attach the line and bleed out the system-I would be interested in the line though-can you PM shipping and costs for it by chance?Thanks for the help- :D

Sorry havent updated this for some time,my apologies.I used a small section of line and ran that off the master, used a couplier and installed a fitting on the end of the broken section, works well, thanks for all the help-sorry for the long time in  posting, the winters make working on the odyssey hard-I am sure many have this feeling!!