Author Topic: What I have found so far  (Read 5061 times)

turbotexas

• View Profile
What I have found so far
« on: June 18, 2006, 12:17:40 AM »
I need some advice...
I just bought this thing and hadn't ridden yet, (except test drive)
It has a DG brand pipe, but needs a spark arrestor silencer. Best choice and how much should i expect to spend?
It has the 102c clutch!!! Where can I get a manual or web siteon these, and leearn how to adjust etc... I am looking for climbing power instead of top speed, but  want  both!!!!
What size plugs do I need???
Best way  to determine what carb  is one this machine???  and what size  or range of sizes do I need to get in jets and needles???
It also has Boyenson reeds!!!
Thanks!!!
I can't wait to ge it  home and rip it up!!

nuke em

• View Profile
What I have found so far
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 10:11:27 PM »
Congrats on the new toy!

Ok, I can walk you thru disassembly/inspection/reassembly on the 102C when you get it home, I do it regularly. First, buy some Comet Clutch lube($13) so you will be ready. They will not last but a few years if left to the elements without lube. You will also need a 102C puller($20) to do the job.

The silencer... I personally would avoid the DG silencer unless you want to go deaf! LOL On one machine, I run a DG pipe but swapped out the silencer for an $5.00 Ebay TRX250R FMF. I had to modify it to fit and fab up some mounts, but works fine(much quiter too)  EEE makes a good silencer too.

Plugs... Book calls for NGK BR9ES, or BR8ES(cold weather). I have run even the BR7s(hotter) before with no problems. I would highly suggest avoiding Champion plugs at all costs. I have chased many a problem that was caused by Champion plugs.

For climbing power and harder excelleration(torque, go with a 22" rear tire, high stall setup in the 102C and a smaller carb(32mm-35mm). For more top end speed, go with a 35mm-39mm carb and 24" tires. Ofcourse, they make reeds and exhaust pipes that are setup to help make power in the different areas too. Best HP gains will be made thru port work and polishing which can be a rev or torque port job.

When you get it in, post up and we'll help you get it dialed in for what you want. We can also figure out what has been done to it already.

Gary

turbotexas

• View Profile
What I have found so far
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 03:09:07 PM »
got it home and rode around the yard !!!WOW!!! This ain't noo chinese buggy...
The guy i bought from adjusted the  idle by  thr cable housing behind the  steering wheel. I did like that so i bought carb cleaner and tore the airbox off and cleaned the exterior  of the carb... what a job putting it back together!!! 45 mins.
It has a uni filter, plug is #9 main jet is 140 i didn't lookat the pilot yet...
It seeems to be jetted riight, response is good, but will have to get some new plugs to  be sure!!!
The  clutch belt is  rather loose, and concerns me. I will post vids and picts this evening. I am on my way to southern Cal with buggy in tow...

turbotexas

• View Profile
What I have found so far
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:14:16 AM »
Well  i got to ride my new buggy in arizona over the weekend. throttle was a  little spotty at mid range, but once it opened up still felt good. Rode real good actually great. can't imagine it better but am excited about the works shocks that are in the future.
I broke off a ball joint on the lower left front  j arm. are these replaceable? How much  should I expect to spend??? Who  would have them???
Thanks
David

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
What I have found so far
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 02:34:07 PM »
If it rode great, I would think you already have Works shocks. I guess it's possible you have blown out stock shocks, or maybe Progressive Suspension shocks.

Livewire has some good J arms for sale.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

atvnut

• View Profile
comet clutch lube
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 10:41:23 PM »
A good alterantive and less expensive is TDL (the dry lube) by PBlaster I use it and it works very well.
Thank you
"The Nut"

turbotexas

• View Profile
What I have found so far
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 02:17:36 AM »
Someone has put alot of work into this buggy, it might have some progresssive shocks, I haven't even looked that close.  I do know they don't leak.I am thinking that while I have the arm off i will redo the  brakes. are these easy enough to do? thee right j-arm has already been replaced as he color doesn't match. should I get new bushings while i am in there??? I might not ned to, as when repainted, I bet all new bushings were installed
I haven't determined what color spring I have in my 102clutch. black, brown or just rusted??? Haven't found any helpful info on the setup yet either.  i am used to a CVT like polaris and my chinese 250cc a honda scooter motor.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
What I have found so far
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 07:43:25 AM »
The front brakes are easy enough to do as long as you're just replacing the shoes if you've done other drum brakes. I haven't rebuilt the wheel cylinders so I can't comment there.

I don't know of any documented Comet set up info for Odysseys and Pilots. You could try searching http://www.pilot-odyssey.com/ to see what others have done. As far as people how have tried different set ups, Livewire and AtvNut are the ones I've read about.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

atvnut

• View Profile
Clutch spring
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 12:20:06 AM »
If it is an off the shelf comet for the 350 the spring is either a purple round wire or a yellow square wire. If not let me know and I can tell you what arms should work best. I use a 53 gram arm in my 350 its a polaris S 53 arm and I like how it works easy to take off without tearing up the yard so much.
Thank you
"The Nut"

turbotexas

• View Profile
Re: Clutch spring
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 01:02:03 AM »
Quote from: "AtvNut"
If it is an off the shelf comet for the 350 the spring is either a purple round wire or a yellow square wire. If not let me know and I can tell you what arms should work best. I use a 53 gram arm in my 350 its a polaris S 53 arm and I like how it works easy to take off without tearing up the yard so much.

I bet it's the purple round wire, definatly not square wire??? although I ain't never seen a square spring... I am tryin to get to the local Honda shop in the AM to find some clutch lube and puller, they might not have it though. I still need to find a manual, on these because I have BLONDE hair, and it takes awhile before some things sink in...

atvnut

• View Profile
What I have found so far
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 02:01:25 AM »
I doubt you will find clutch lube at the honda dealer. Try a pep boys or similar and get some TDL made by PBlaster I use it and it works great at about the 25% of the cost. A clutch puller locally might be a trick to find as well you might wanna try Steve at aftershockmotorsports.com, I made my puller out of some stock and a bolt cant remember the thread size and pitch right now.
Thank you
"The Nut"

PilotHawK

• View Profile
What I have found so far
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 04:40:07 PM »
Here is a link to the manual you need.

http://www.g2-innovations.com/gentech/manuals.htm

Shurakair

• View Profile
Clutch Lube and Puller
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 06:35:29 PM »
I was actually able to find Comet Clutch Lube at my local Honda Dealer (well, sort of.  They had to order it, but I wasn't in a hurry so it wasn't a big deal).  If you strike out at the dealer for a clutch puller, I'd suggest talking to Livewire.  I bought a stock clutch puller from him not too long ago that worked great.

turbotexas

• View Profile
What I have found so far
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »
Quote from: "PilotHawK"

Hey every one thanks for the links etc. I am not in a big hurry either, I just want to know what  I got and how to take care of it before it goes bad. I will get some  kinda lube tomorrow, PBlaster or the real deal what ever is available. I hope manual explains where to lube etc.

Just replaced the j-arm, and took it for a spin around the house...
50 mph with a gps unit in hand. I don't know if this is fast by ya'lls standards, but with a stock airbox, and stock carb, I was excited.
I found the previous owner, goes by throttle on these forums, and he has filled me in on some of the work he had done to the motor before he sold it. ported, with the exhaust and carb tuned.

turbotexas

• View Profile
What I have found so far
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 12:57:34 AM »
Quote from: "turbotexas"
Quote from: "PilotHawK"

Hey every one thanks for the links etc. I am not in a big hurry either, I just want to know what  I got and how to take care of it before it goes bad. I will get some  kinda lube tomorrow, PBlaster or the real deal what ever is available. I hope manual explains where to lube etc.

Just replaced the j-arm, and took it for a spin around the house...
50 mph with a gps unit in hand. I don't know if this is fast by ya'lls standards, but with a stock airbox, and stock carb, I was excited.
I found the previous owner, goes by throttle on these forums, and he has filled me in on some of the work he had done to the motor before he sold it. ported, with the exhaust and carb tuned.

It just dawned on me that I have 22" tires, instad of the stock 24" so If I really needed to go faster I could switch tires...

I am still trying to figure out how Nuke'em got his to do a wheelie!?!?!?