Author Topic: pilot engine that wont stop  (Read 2675 times)

Lee1968UK

• View Profile
pilot engine that wont stop
« on: May 10, 2006, 07:13:05 PM »
one of my pilots which is standard except crm 250 carb sounds like its takeing in air, when i rev it up the revs start to drop but then holds on to its revs, sounds like it is stuck at about quarter throttle but the slide is all the way down. so i turn off the key and it makes no difference the same happens when i try the kill switch on the steering wheel it just keeps on revving. as you can imagine the first time this happened i was running around like a headless chicken, an engine that runs with no spark :shock:  even my hand over the air intake made no differance!. by this time i am in a right flap, luckily i had an idear to turn it on its roof, that worked  :o  
looking at the plug it is running very lean and i have tryed spraying petrol around carb rubber, bottom of the cylinder etc to try to find an air leak but nothing. my other pilot also has a crm carb but that one runs ok.
If i run the engine on tickover and turn off the key or use the kill switch the engine stops as normal. has anyone else come across this problem or suggest a possible cure, i dont fancy this happening whilst i am driveing it putting it on its roof to stop it is a bit drastic.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 07:26:49 PM »
Bad ground, that goes good when upside down ???  :roll:  :lol:

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:49:33 PM »
I have read something like this years before and I believe the guy said he had to pull the choke to kill it. Sounds like a scary thing to happen. I would swap carbs to make sure its the carb that is the problem to start with. Keep us posted.

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:40:37 PM »
Sounds like a lean out condition.  Every engine has different demands on fuel input parameters.  richen up your slow/pilot  jet, raise the needle up one knotch (go one lower for the clip) see how that plays out.  You may want to check the crank seals for an air leak.  tou may also want to check your float level.  Dont carbs suck :)
  If all of your fueling issues check out and the problem persists, start checking the ground fault cicuits (kill switch) for corrosion and or loose connections.

Lee1968UK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 03:04:28 AM »
I think the best thing for me to do is go back to a standard pilot carb but pilots are not so popular here in the uk, and most of them have been used for corporate days so most things are worn out. has anyone got an original pilot carb that they can sell to me or even 2 of them that they could post to me in the uk :D . I can pay with pay pal or bankers draft.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 07:39:26 AM »
I have to check and see, I may still have one. I'll try and check today

Ack! Reminds me..Sorry Dan I forgot to send out your parts so far....!  :oops:

Lee1968UK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 05:16:05 PM »
I put the crm 250 carb from my other pilot complete with slide and needle on to my problem pilot and it seems to have cured the problem :D . so i checked the pilot and main jet and the float hight, but they were all the same :? . first i noticed the needle was different and also the slide, i found another needle with the same number and another slide which is different again but i thought i would try it. It seems to be ok it is not reving it self up now any way but i have yet to take it out and drive it.

I still want to fit standard pilot carbs though.