Author Topic: coolant leaks on the 420 project  (Read 1530 times)

nuke em

• View Profile
coolant leaks on the 420 project
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:52:51 PM »
I added the pump and hoses to the system for testing. I had several assorted sizes of rubber coated clamps. They work awsome to mount the pump. Its good to be a pack rat sometimes. I used plain water instead of anti freeze too. Good call. It seeped water past 6 of the 7 head studs. I guess I need O-rings. RTV? My other machine uses a Rand/Kleem head and the nuts are mounted inside the coolant area.

I also noticed a drip hanging on theBosch coolant pump. I am going to have to look into that also. Weed, did you ever open yours up yet? Seals or o-rings?

Here are a few pictures to give you an idea what I did. I have several heat cycles done, she is about ready for some abuse! LOL

Weed

• View Profile
pump
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:57:57 PM »
I know the pump is separate from the motor (small gap between) and I am sure that it utilizes small shaft seals........  Sorry but I have never taken mine apart. Is yours new or used?  If it is used it may need to be ran a while so the seals soften back up and seal the shaft.  

I haven't looked at mine since I installed it but I think the pump itself will split in two and it probably has an oring beween the two halves.  If the leaking won't stop it should be a cheap fix if you can find seals.

Nice install, I used the cool rubber coated mounts as well (I'm a pack rat too)

You will probably need to put copper washers under the nuts on the head to seal.  Make sure the washers are a soft copper so they kinda squish when torqued, that should seal her up.

BTW nice job, now lets see if she'll do a wheeleeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!