Author Topic: The Dez LIVES!!!!  (Read 3589 times)

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« on: May 01, 2006, 12:12:39 PM »
It's easier to just copy/paste what I just put up on YDR:

<snip>yesterday (Sunday, 4/30) I finally found some time to get into the shop and start finishing up the Dez. I'd decided that, even though the airbox wasn't finished, it was time to see if the RX1 was going to fire up.
Final stuff was done - lines hose clamped, fluids inserted, wire harnesses checked. All seemed in order. Time to give it a try and see if the engine was going to come to life.

Turn the key, lights on the dash blink, fuel pump starts up and it's time to hit the magic button. The engine cranks over nice and quickly and there's the sound of an engine sort of trying to do something - pop, pop, pop. Little blue flames are coming out of the throttle bodies in no particular order. Hmm...

Unfortunately, I was constrained by time and I had to quit early - plus the battery was on the weak side - it's been sitting for the past four months: time for a charge. I'll try tomorrow.

Last night, laying there in bed it struck me. The engine was firing, but not correctly - as if the spark timing was off a bit. Aha! I know the problem! The RX1 engine is a reverse cylinder setup - the intake is on the front side, the exhaust is on the rear. Bikes are just the opposite. My wire harness for the ignition coils was on backwards! Cylinder 1 on a bike is Cylinder 4 on the sled. TADA!!

This morning I headed down and swapped the plugs around: 1 to 4, 2 to 3. Walked back up to the driver's area, turned the key and hit the magic button.

Here are the results!!! <---- Windblows Media File

The rattling sound you hear at the beginning of the video is a wrench, a pair of pliers and half a dozen Dzus fasteners floating around on the aluminum belly pan. Had me worried at first, but once I picked everything up, well, you hear the results.

The engine revs instantly. The primary clutch isn't installed at the moment, so there's no mass on the crankshaft. Nothing to slow down the rev up or rev down. The engine's also quite lean off the bottom end (why it's sluggish on response and back fires). I'm sure this has multiple factors effecting it. Broken air pressure sensor on the throttle body assembly, no air filters or velocity stacks, non-stock exhaust. I didn't have the Power Commander hooked up yet either, so there's not any way to adjust this out yet. - that's an easy fix, though - two quick plug ins and play with the buttons.

Right now I'm going to get back down to the shop and start working on finishing it up. It's time to get this beastie running and in the dirt again - Summer's on the way and there's a race in Mexico on June 17th. I plan on being there!
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 03:18:57 PM »
Awesome...the best part was the "hea haa" at the end! LOL

:big clap:  :big clap:  :bigthumbup:  :bigthumbup:

PilotSniper

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:44:57 PM »
Sounds and looks SWEEEET!!! :D

The RX1 is a snowmobile engine? It sounds like a motorcycle engine to me. Whatever it is, it sounds like it's packing some serious power... 8)

Congrats, Skeeter!!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

PilotHawK

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 05:10:17 PM »
WooHoo! Plils place is much closer than Phoenix....could be the k-fab secret testing facility.

nuke em

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 06:11:51 PM »
Sounds great! I want to see it in a video clip in action.  What kind of air filter system are you going to run? The reason I am asking is I have a K&N air filter in the box thats for a 660 Raptor AND a RX1. You can have it if you want it.

Ozpilot

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 07:32:35 PM »
Now it's happenin"!!

Sounds good.   Should be super crisp with a tune!  Can't wait to hear that.

Moskito

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 10:53:42 PM »
Quote from: "Nuke Em"
Sounds great! I want to see it in a video clip in action.  What kind of air filter system are you going to run? The reason I am asking is I have a K&N air filter in the box thats for a 660 Raptor AND a RX1. You can have it if you want it.
I appreciate it, but the Dez will have an airbox and use, of all things a Ford (egad) E-450 paper fitration system.

Here's the RX1 installation history - you'll see the airbox setup.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 12:24:34 AM »
WHAT - Where is the smoke - It can't be running if its not smoking....

Better go back to the drawing board something not right here....

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

"FORD" filtration system - Man there goes that "outside the box" thinking again....
You know where that will get ya

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Sounds Great - Keep us posted.... :D  :D  :D

Moskito

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 10:12:33 PM »
Quote from: "FL670R"
WHAT - Where is the smoke - It can't be running if its not smoking....
Better go back to the drawing board something not right here....
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

LOL!!!  Yup - no smoke.  YEAH for me!!!
I can pull right up to the pump and fill'er up now.  Man that's gonna be nice.

Quote from: "FL670R"
"FORD" filtration system - Man there goes that "outside the box" thinking again....
You know where that will get ya

Victimized??   :shock:
--------------------------

Today, the Dez moved under it's own power.  WOO HOO!!!

Got the thing pieced together, airbox stuff more or less finalized and decided it was time to see if it actually moved and worked. - It does!

I'm really pleased with the amount of muffling the airbox does for the intake noise.  The Dez now sounds like a "louder" sport bike.  Not obnoxious like it used to be.

The fuel mapping's way off down low  - very lean and it's popping and backfiring badly, but up on top, it seems like it's better.

My brakes are sketchy at the moment - need to redo the flares on the line ends, so I didn't do anything much to go fast - I can't stop very well, so I'm not gonna go out and hurt myself (did that already with the damn wrist...)

Clutching - who knows.  Gotta get the brakes working, then start playing with different maps to see what I can do for the FI and then I'll get to the clutches.

I'm making headway though. (finally)

Time for testing, testing and more testing - I see a lot of it in my future.

If the Dez ends up being quiet enough, I think I'm gonna look into  seeing what's involved in making it street legal.

I think it's windshield w/wipers, blinkers, which are already more or less in the wire harness, DOT lights high/low beam setup - once again, wire harness is already equiped.  I already have a horn, brake and tail lights, mirrors, seat belts plus street legal tires.  Could be easier than I think.

That should get me in loads of trouble!!

nuke em

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 10:24:39 PM »
That should get me in loads of trouble!!  ----- thats funny!  How the hell can you turn wrenches in a cast Quasimoto? I though about street legalizing a 350, just because its legal to ride quads on the streets here in Wyoming. I wonder if any car rims are 4on110 or 4on130 to save my knobbies.

dhjunkie

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 11:42:47 PM »
YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!    When do I get to be a passenger again?

Nuk Em,  try a early 80's honda CVCC rim  I think they are 4 on 110  maybe 4 on 100  cant really remember
you can get 12" rims for the 4 on 110 bolt pattern and 12" car tires from pep boys

nuke em

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 12:03:02 AM »
Thanks!  I have an old 5X8 trailer that uses an 77/78 Honda rear trailing axle for suspension. I'll check that tomorrow. It never crossed my mind, glad I spoke up.

Moskito

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 10:17:37 AM »
WOW!!!   :shock:  :shock:

I got the Dez all buttoned up on Thursday afternoon.  Did half a dozen laps inside the (new) K-fab facility, just checking stuff out.  Was working great and then suddenly died.  Spent the next couple hours scratching my head.  Had spark, air - ah, something's wrong with the fuel pickup.   Still not quite sure why or what, but something was blocking the pickup tube.

Got that fixed and then went outside to run a couple parking lot laps.

The Police don't seem to like the Dez doing parking lot laps...

I made made two or three nice tight, tire smoking donuts and then jetted to the end of the lot.  Snap spin (the Dez actually has working rear brakes again!!!), drop the rear wheels out into the street and Johnny law (who happened to be sitting across the street) is now in hot pursuit. - what was really cool was that I could actually hear his siren - that would have NEVER been the case with the old two smoke buzz bomb.

I pulled back up to the building, with a black and white in hot pursuit (I think he thought I was gonna run), hopped out of the Dez (with a HUGE grin on my face) and said "What's up???"

Got the full spotlight in the face, "stay right there and don't move" treatment.   20 questions later, I have a nice little yellow piece of paper - fortunately, just a reckless operation and no registration warning. - hell, I was in full control the whole time!!!

What was great about it all was that when Johnny Law was done playing Police man, he says "Wow, that thing's got some power." - and then wanted to know all about the Dez.

The new RX1 powerplant has HUGE potential.

The fuel injection's not mapped out very well yet (Dynojet Power Commander will allow this) and the clutching's not right yet either, but already the Dez has way more low end and launch potential that the old AC setup did.   Top end?  Don't know - but it should be equal or faster than the old setup.  (engine's only hitting 9500 right now, so there's another 2K worth of revs I'm not getting yet)

I'm jazzed about it and when I get to Phoenix next month, I'll throw it on a chassis dyno and get everything dialed in.

Can't wait!!!

nuke em

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 03:10:38 PM »
Great story!  Did you ever figure out what blocked the pickup? Might want to do a fuel tank flush to make sure theres not a piece of something(RTV,plastic) washing around in there. Keep us posted with the progress.

PilotSniper

• View Profile
The Dez LIVES!!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »
Skeeter, I can picture your story in my head as I'm reading it. The whole scene must have been pretty hilarious for you and unique for the cop! At least you landed a couple of warnings and not a couple of full-blown citations...

Pull over, son! :head:

Who, me? :huh:

You can't ride this thing on the street!  :nono:

I promise I won't do it again, officer!  :roll:

Well, here's a couple of warnings.  :rant:

Thank you, officer!  :worthy:

Hey, son, whatcha got in that there buggy?  :cheers:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock: