Author Topic: Update, FINALLY  (Read 13886 times)

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Update, FINALLY
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 02:42:49 AM »
Quote from: "greasemnky"
Dennis, do all the rotax sleds use the same electric starters?
I can get a starter ring and the starter from a 440 for real cheap.

I really doubt it... But I'm not much of a skidoo buff...
I believe the starters are basicilly the same and the big differences are in the brackets that attach them...

You also better check to see if the starter ring will fit your drive clutch...

If you can do some fabbing I'd guess that you could use the 440 stuff without much trouble as long as you align them correctly...

Moskito fabbed one up on the FrankenSkeeter check it out...
Skeeter you have the link ?

I'm currenlty not running an electric starter on my rotax 670
I just added a sled manual carb primer, pump it a few times, and a coulple of pulls of the rope and she roars to life...

greasemnky

• View Profile
Update, FINALLY
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 09:37:46 AM »
You have a sled primer on the watercraft carbs? Did you piece it together or buy one of the sled kits? If you have a picture that'd be great.

I'm planning on making my own brackets anyhow, the factory starter mounts under the engine, not a good place on my buggy. So I'm going to have to mount it in front and under the manifold, more like the jetski's do. I had the guy email me the measurements on the starter ring, and I think it will work.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Update, FINALLY
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 03:35:04 PM »
Quote from: "FL670R"
What do I have???  Frankenskeeter starter mount? - uhm....  OEM engine in that beastie.

I think you may be referring to the starter mount that I made for the 600 EFI engine that Nuke em has now.

Pix...
somewhere.
I'll have to look.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

nuke em

• View Profile
Update, FINALLY
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 05:59:10 PM »
I can take some pictures of the starter on the engine I just got from Skeeter. probably get some measurements too, if you want.

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Update, FINALLY
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 04:49:09 PM »
Quote from: "greasemnky"
You have a sled primer on the watercraft carbs? Did you piece it together or buy one of the sled kits? If you have a picture that'd be great.

I'm planning on making my own brackets anyhow, the factory starter mounts under the engine, not a good place on my buggy. So I'm going to have to mount it in front and under the manifold, more like the jetski's do. I had the guy email me the measurements on the starter ring, and I think it will work.

Yea its a simple design, I just bought a used one off of ebay for $10.
It plumbs into the intake manifold and draws fuel from a tee in the fuel supply line.

The pilot is stored at the farm so I can't take a pict till this weekend
Enclosed pict is what I'm using...

=============================================

Quote from: "Moskito"
Quote from: "FL670R"
What do I have???  Frankenskeeter starter mount? - uhm....  OEM engine in that beastie.

I think you may be referring to the starter mount that I made for the 600 EFI engine that Nuke em has now.

Awe yes - Thats what I meant...

My "brain-overladen head" must have slipped off my hands and hit the table or something for a minute there   :D

greasemnky

• View Profile
Update, FINALLY
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 08:19:46 PM »
OH! I saved that off the sled! Thought it might be something. So do you just have it tee'd into the fuel lines feeding the carbs?? I ended up loosing out on the bid for that starter, so I'll definatly want to do the primer.

greasemnky

• View Profile
Air Box fix
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 12:31:35 AM »
Ok, I ended up ditching the single carb set up for a dual carb. The carbs are from a rotax 580 in a 96 SeaDoo XP. I got the whole unit, cables and all. And the air box is frankly, much nicer than anything I could do. Only one problem, it hits the outlet for the cooling system. So after a minute, an idea, just flip the cooling flanges! Take the 90 degree thats on top, and move it to the side.

Works great! That plus I had to turn the scoop on the air box around to face the rear. I started digging through the pile of crap I have in the garage, and found a air box to an 89 Seadoo, low and behold, it make the perfect top for the 96. Plus a standard 3 inch K & N cone filter fits on the end of it!

In case anyone else thinks of doing this, here's a little info on the rotax cooling system. It does have an internal water pump, basiclly looks like a long screw. When the engines cold, the coolant enters the bottom flange, and bypasses the radiator out the top flange and back to the res. When the thermostat opens, it blocks that upper flange, and it goes out the top rear flange, into the radiator, then the res, then back to the engine. Supposed to help heat the motor up faster.

I of course was wondering if this was needed, and would I be hurting the engine if I just capped the bypass?? Is it going to burn up the pump since the water won't be able to flow until its "warm"