Author Topic: Easier Way!!!  (Read 3084 times)

jbru34

• View Profile
Easier Way!!!
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:13:07 PM »
When fixing the starter defect you must tig the hole then make a new hole for ventalation.  http://odysseysalvage.com/fixstarteroil.htm  I discovered that the wall specified to drill in is very thin.  I found a different way to do it and it was much easier.  Check it out.

I found a store that sold a plug with a hole through the middle of it that had the same threads as the dip stick.  I threaded the hole then put a nipple in.  Put the hose over it clamped it and attached the expander.
Crazy Chester followed me...

Toyman

• View Profile
Vent
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 10:18:45 PM »
That looks like it'd work just fine.

Is there anything wrong with simply following the revised instructions of using the lower reading on the stick as full?

This is what I have done with my 350s for years.  I've not inspected the starters for some time to see if they are oil free. Hope so! :?:
Toyman

jbru34

• View Profile
Easier Way!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 10:22:50 PM »
not sure what the question is???

nuke em

• View Profile
Easier Way!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 09:13:50 AM »
Hey Toyman,

When your starter cranks slower and slower and you are sure the battery is good. the starter is full of oil. Its happened like that on 2 of my 350s. My riding buddies 350 is cranking slow this year so we will pull it soon, and I have beer bet thats is full of oil! LOL

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Oil
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 10:28:50 AM »
I keep mine at the low mark and use OEM head gaskets. I don't have an issue with oil in the starter.

Ozpilot

• View Profile
Easier Way!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 06:12:54 PM »
Hey jbru34, I know next to nothing about 350s but I've read that, when the "oil in the starter problem" became known, there was a directive or something from Honda that the oil level should be run lower than what is indicated on the dipstick.  Somebody else here can probably explain it more accurately.

jbru34

• View Profile
Easier Way!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 07:52:42 PM »
thanks for the tip but i never said anything to start with the oil level...all i was saying is that this is an easier way to give a breather hole then drilling into the case...this has nothing to do with the oil level...

ludedude

• View Profile
Easier Way!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »
I think they're just saying you don't need to do any mods if you just run your oil level lower ;)

jbru34

• View Profile
Easier Way!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 08:45:01 PM »
oh well to late for that and rather be safe then sorry...w/e its all good...