Author Topic: Pilot Trailer  (Read 4909 times)

artoux

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:26:49 AM »
What do yo guys haul your Pilots around in?  Car trailer or utility?
  Pilot and a quad would require a 6x16' car trailer.  Do anyone of you have a setup like I am talking about?  Just a Pilot trailer what are you using?
  Chuck

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:15:20 AM »
Boy that's an open ended question.  There are many options and setups that work great.

Go as large as you can (wallet and tow vehicle being the limiting factors) - you ALWAYS need more space and will eventually find that the trailer will be too darn small.

Depending on how mild to wild you want to get, you can use a regular old flatbed garden style trailer up to a fully enclosed setup.

If you're wanting to transport both a Pilot and a quad, you can save space by sitting the quad either sideways or stand it up on it's tail. - you can stand a Pilot up on it's rear end too - but it would be a bit sketchy if you can't get it tied down really well.

Another option is to have a double decker setup - Quad on a rack in the front of the trailer with a Pilot nose forward, nose under the quad rack.

Regardless of what setup you end up with, remember to load your trailer with the majority of the weight forward of the trailer's axle.  If it's a shorter trailer, put the Pilot on backwards so the weight is closer to the tongue.  A poorly loaded trailer with weight too far back on it will be prone to getting out of control and weaving or whipping - not a good thing! (ask Dune Pilot)

You may already know about trailer weight loading, but it's worth repeating.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 12:22:20 PM »
I use a 6x10 with a 4' drop down loading ramp. I made hard links to the ramp so I can lay it flat and have a 6x14 to haul 2 pilots with when needed (front pilot goes on frontward and the front wheels go over the front rail, the second pilot gets backes on). I towed like this down to Coal Creek last summer and it owed like a dream.  http://p-o-ps.com/pops/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=40 last 3 picks on htat page show the trailer

Ozpilot

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:03:41 PM »
When I hauled a pilot and quads I used a car trailer which I put an aluminium floor in.  It is now set up so I can put the pilot across in front of the axels, one quad across between the axels and one quad across the back.  That setup is way too heavy in the front but it works.  

If you can build something I'd build a trailer that takes both machines end to end.  If length is an issue or if you're modifying an existing trailer you may want to put the quad across and the pilot lengthwise.  The most important thing (for me) is to have suoer easy loading and unloading - these things get real heavy at the end of a big ride and it's great if you can just drive them right on.

When I built my last trailer I found that most people recommend a minimum of 15 - 20% of the trailer weight should be on the tow ball.  Some go as little as 10% but I think that's on heavier trailers.  If you get this right and put good brakes on the trailer it will make towing it a relaxing drive.  It's important to have a well designed trailer.  Remember you are hoping to enjoy your riding trips - if it's a hassle to load and tow the trailer you'll be tired before you get there and you'll have less fun.

artoux

• View Profile
Trailer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 09:17:44 PM »
Please tell me about this double decker setup in detail if you will.
  If that doesn't work.  I'll get the 6x16 for both the quad and the pilot.
 Chuck-Tricked Raptor
  Soon to be Pilot
  See Raptor pic below 45hp. heavily modified

ludedude

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 09:59:58 PM »
I've seen pictures of one. In front of the trailer, there is a raised platform that you load your quad onto from the side. It is high enough of the deck of the trailer that the nose of the pilot can go under it...I think of the stock car trailers with their tire rack up front that the car nose goes under, same idea.

Moskito

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 11:01:56 PM »
Quote from: "Ozpilot"
When I hauled a pilot and quads I used a car trailer which I put an aluminium floor in.

When I built my last trailer I found that most people recommend a minimum of 15 - 20% of the trailer weight should be on the tow ball.

Okay, now follow my logic (yea, right)...

You've thrown an extra "i" in aluminum, so shouldn't you should be spelling minimum "minimium"? (sheesh, that's hard to say)

Next you're gonna make fun of me for colouring the words red, aren't ya.  8)
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 12:02:20 AM »
Don't argue with moskito its a mute point. I've seen a box of hammers with better english skills than that guy has. He really can't take alot, or is it allot.....can't remember, of poor english. He thinks he is a spellinggrammernazi.  :twisted:

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 12:50:29 PM »
Quote from: "PilotHawK"
Don't argue with moskito its a mute point. I've seen a box of hammers with better english skills than that guy has. He really can't take alot, or is it allot.....can't remember, of poor english. He thinks he is a spellinggrammernazi.  :twisted:

Hahahaha!!! Good one, Hawk!

Hey Skeeter, you started it!!! (as usual, you darkside mutt) :wink: ROFLMAO!!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

Moskito

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 01:32:56 PM »
DOH!!!

Please refer to PH's signature for my reply. :wink:

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 01:43:39 PM »
Quote from: "Moskito"
DOH!!!

I guess I deserved that one, right??? :oops:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

Moskito

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »
Quote from: "PilotSniper"
Quote from: "Moskito"
DOH!!!

I guess I deserved that one, right??? :oops:

YUP!!!   :D

Quote from: "artoux"
Please tell me about this double decker setup in detail if you will.

Okay, I will!

The two trailers that I've seen like this have been regular flat bed type trailers that have a second level on the front third or so - wide enough for your quad.

The front of the Pilot fit under the second level - about up to the point where the mirrors are on the front down tubes.  There was still room for things like gas containers and spare tires in front of the Pilot, under the second level too.

The second level is really nothing more than a couple of ladder looking rails (think loading ramps) that are supported on verticle legs that were welded to the sides of the trailer.  Seems like the second level was about 44 - 48" off the trailer's deck.

There was cross bracing in the front of the second level and it's support legs to keep it from flexing side to side.  You don't have to over-make the upper level - just a couple larger holes (think loading ramp missing a couple cross members) strategically placed so the quad wheels drop down into them a bit - secures the quad in place like wheel chocks.   You still have to tie the quad down.

Loading is done from the side - a couple ramps, ride the quad on up. - it will be a fairly steep climb, though...

You could set it up so that one side of the trailer has a pair of ramps (the same length as the verticle supports) that are permenantly attached to the upper section and swing out - place a couple support legs under them and then lay your regular loading ramps against the ends of these pivoting extensions.

A setup like this will give you a ramp setup that's probaby 50% longer than a standard ramp and it won't be as steep of a load.

If I can find the time in the next couple days, I'll try to draw something up to show what I'm talking about if the stuff above doesn't make sense.  I thought I had a picture with on of these trailers in it, but I can't find it anymore.  Drats... :cry:

Toyman

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »
This is my first attempt to post a pic. on this board.

Sorry if it comes out to large.

I just bought it & it is a LARGE trailer!

30ft retired race car trailer; holds three Pilots plus lots of gear.
Toyman

ludedude

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 10:32:44 AM »
Posts don't come out too large here ;) This board is the cat's ass it resizes them automatically, and creates a link to a full sized version.

I HATE it when pictures are posted in a thread and it breaks the page layout..I hate it A LOT...LOL

NICE TRAILER  :bigzzzz:  picture him whistling instead of snoring LOL

ludedude

• View Profile
Pilot Trailer
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 10:40:19 AM »
how'd you make out with Digatron?