Author Topic: The LT portion of the project  (Read 6980 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
The LT portion of the project
« on: January 19, 2006, 05:23:30 PM »
Well most of what I plan to do for the rear LT is already documented in another section, I'm going to copy.move it into this section so I can track/add to it better.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 05:26:06 PM »
If you remove the axles and shocks the suspension will give you 10-1/16" travel. But the stock axles will not allow the that amount of travel, the inner CV comes into bind way before that. I guess that's why they have the ball joint in the upper arm as such, it limits the stock geometry to within the limits of the inner CV.

Get rid of the ball joint, you get more travel...but then need to contend with the CV binding.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 05:26:42 PM »
The axles are turning out to be more expensive than planned :cry:  They need to have a slip joint built in, there's too much plunge for the CV to take up.

They should be done and ready soon.

I have a pair of 5/8" hiems...I just need to get a few pieces machined up and replace the ball joint tab on the upper arms with a threaded piece of round stock to accept the hiem.

Oh yeah  :oops: Embarassed and a pair of Fox shox  :D  and mounting hoops

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:02:21 PM »
I haven't needed to swap out to the slip joint axles yet, I've got the rear hoops in, front mounts raised and fox shox airs now on all four corners. Got a bit of seat time in finally with them in and started adjusting the oil and nitrogen levels. Started real soft...too soft and I'm working up from there.

Got a few jumps in last night, no issues of nose diving ;) As long as you've got traction going off the jump there's more than enough power to momentum the nose upward! Couldn't get any big air as I had the shocks set too soft and they were bottoming out, got back to the shop, put some more in and it's ready for the next time....maybe tonight.... :)

The soft, extended travel up front is really nice....I love how the wheels just drop into holes and whoops now without the buggy moving much. I've got to change the steering some more yet as it's too fast and hard too steer for my liking, but at least it turns now good now ;)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:26:12 PM »
I hate steering! #$#^#^   lol  and I thought I was half decent at geometry! Must be the lack of sleep!  :lol: Every time I think I have it nailed down, I cycle it through its travel and still ...bump steer! @!$$# I had it close to nil with the bell crank, but it was hard, now I tried to add in the rack and pinion and I can't get m close to zero bump steer back! Ah well...take a break and go back at it... :)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »
Easy fix...had a high mis-alignment spacer going into bind, pushing the spindle out  :P

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 08:22:29 AM »
One side done....on to the other ;)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »
Here's a few pics of the front end. ALmost ready to go do some more testing.  The front ends ended up with 12.5" of travel with +2 arms. The bump steer has removed almost all of the bump steer from full compression to full extension.

stoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 08:30:41 PM »
Whats the travel and extended length on those fox 2.0 airs?
Im thinking about using those on my #2 pilot
thanks cb

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »
24" extended and 8" stroke ;)