Author Topic: 600EFI LT, the 600EFI transplant portion  (Read 68782 times)

Ozpilot

• View Profile
600EFI LT, the 600EFI transplant portion
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2006, 11:33:21 PM »
I wouldn't hold out much hope for a TEAM secondary - they do a lot of OEM stuff (other than clutches) and don't seem to be the type of operation that would be eager to do smaller projects.  

Don't those hyper-lites look great!  And it looks like they have based the "workings" on the Arctic Cat setup.  One of those would be awesome on a Pilot.

If you go down the hyper-lite path be sure to let me know in advance - I'd like to have a good talk about that before you get too far.

Let me know when I can call you (on a landline) - I'd like to talk to you about an idea (I type way too slow!!)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2006, 11:47:12 PM »
I'm up late tonight...switch over....15 minutes would be good ;) Still got my number?

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2006, 08:03:55 AM »
How much smaller in diam of a driven clutch do you need?

A thought that hit me last night - maybe with a bit of machining you could turn the OD of the clutch sheaves down to a size that fits on a Pilot?

Open the sheaves up a bit and the belt should drop back into the clutch to the correct position.  May have to put a few washers between the to sheaves for fine tuning of the width, but it's worth a mention.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 09:19:52 AM »
Brendan and I actually were talking about that last night ;)  :P  

Thoughts on...would a renforcing ring be necessary on the edge after machind down?

I'll go measure the OD of the 2 clutches....Arctic Cat driven is 270mm you say Oz...with 12.2" Center to center. Polaris is 12", both use 8" drive clutches? Polaris was 29? face angles....was the Arctic Cat the same?

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2006, 10:04:01 AM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
Guru....hardly LOL....Notice Moskito has more wrenches than me  :P )Probably does in reality too  :P  :P) May have to set Oz up with a few of his own too.

I'll second that.  Oz needs wrenches. (but he's not allowed to have SAE wrenches yet, only metric)  Anyone else agree?
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006, 10:33:02 AM »
Here's some numbers, rough measurements. If I turn down the AC driven to the edge of the bolt in plates (what are they for??) It would be 240mm diameter vs the pilot 225mm.

OEM on the pilot the belt lays on the CV at idle, but is the AC drive /engine were a bit higher, it would change the lay angle of the belt and I thin clear the CV.

If I turn the AC drive though, then I need to move the engine farther ahead to make up for the smaller diameter...belt too long...if I use the AC belt...Neil said they used stock belt, stock driven....OEM looks narrow in the AC drive.

The ploaris ATV's use the 3211077 which is the same as the pilot OEM belt, the sleds (all?) use the 3211080...I don't have one, but it must be longer and wider if they use a 12" c2c with a 8" drive and 10.6" driven. Any shorter (polaris ATV) but wider belts (sleds)?

xxxxxx--Arctic Cat----xxxxxxxx-------Pilot-------------xxxxxxxx
xxxxx---mm------------inch-------------mm-------------inch        
driven---270.00--------10.63------------225.00----------8.86
drive----200.00--------7.87--------------190.50----------7.50
C2C-----314.00--------12.36-------------254.00---------10.00
belt cir--1220.00-------48.03------------1060.00---------41.73

Ozpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2006, 06:39:31 PM »
Belt lengths are difficult to compare - everybody measures them differently PLUS belts vary one to another by an amount that makes it unreliable to measure one sample (especially if it is used).

I have a listing that says they measure the belts by placing a steel tape around the outside of the belt.

I can't find a listing for a 3211077 so I don't know what the length should be.  The 3211080 is supposed to be 46 1/2".  There are many other belts used by various Polaris sleds.  The common Arctic Cat belt (0627-020) is supposed to measure 47 3/8".  This is used with the 12.2" c2c.  It seems you can get down to 43 1/4" pretty easily but these don't seem to be popular so there are not many high performance belts for that size.  I'm also unsure what side angle you'd be getting.

I'll spend a bit more time on this later (hopefully today or tonight) and we can see if we can come up with a good combination to aim for.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2006, 07:51:26 PM »
This might help with your research.

http://www.gates.com/catalogs/file_display.cfm?file=snow_03.PDF&thisPath=gates\catalogs

Don't know why "\catalogs" won't come up as part of the hyperlink, but it needs to be part of the address in order for the link to work.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »
Thanks PH.

Just saw some Polaris ATV secondaries on Ebay...they're splined  :shock:  I emailed asked for diameter measurement...can't find it online yet. I'm hoping since the ATV belts are smaller, that their seondary is as well (compared to sleds)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »
just got a reply from Ebay seller he has one that is 9-1/2" he's going to check others ;)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2006, 12:58:18 AM »
What are the chances that's a 1" 23 spline in there? :shock:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2006, 02:01:06 AM »
here's a shot of the discs I was mentioing...what are they for?? That's about 240mm diameter....

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2006, 07:52:42 AM »
Ah - the discs...  I got it now.

Those are to help avoid aerodynamic drag produced by the strengthening ribs on the clutch.  Smoother surface = less drag.

I'm not sure why some come with them, some don't (sled model? touring versus sport? dunno).  I've had them come from e-bay both ways - with and w/o the plates.

They're easy to remove and it doesn't make any difference if you do or don't use them.

Notice the clutch in the pic above the AC clutch has holes to mount plates to it  - for that matter, so does my Team.

Ozpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2006, 05:43:03 PM »
I think the logic each way with the discs is that with the discs you get less drag (and less noise?) and without the discs you get better cooling - depends what your priorities are.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2006, 11:02:09 PM »
Now I'm wondering again......

found this on P-O.com someone mopunted a AC drive on a 350 Ody.....

How much clearance do I need to leave between the belt and the CV???

Polaris is imperial correct? From Ebay seller

All of my driven clutches are 9 - 1/2inches.I have a 9 - 1/2 inch That came off of a sled with 1 inch shaft with 22 splines.

Close, but no cigar....

so...

a 350 driven (7/8 shaft 3/16" keyway) it's adjustable....but willit stand 100hp?

MAKE the arctic cat drive fit.....either new shaft or remove the spline from the pilot driven and bore the AC and mount to stock pilot input shaft....