Author Topic: blew a piston  (Read 2760 times)

Odyssey-340TWN

• View Profile
blew a piston
« on: October 12, 2005, 09:54:10 PM »
Well, folks i blew a piston in my odyssey the other day, i have a 340 twin snowmobile motor in it and i went to do a burnout and blew the piston, i will post pictures of the busted piston on here when i upload them but prettymush i think a rign gave out then got stuck in between the exhaust port and the top of the piston and took a huge chunk off the top of the piston then continued to destroy the complete piston, needless to say it it destroyed and teh whole motor needs to be rebuilt (honed, crankshaft balanced, 2 new pistons)  so i was thinking about just getting a new motor and putting it on it to sell it with because i dont plan on keeping it anyways.

the question i have for you guys is should i get another snowmobile motor (340 or 440) and bolt it on or should i use one of the suzuki quadrunner 250 motors i have sitting around, there 250cc fourstroke, 5 speed with and auto clutch, i was thinking about getting rid of teh CVT all together and getting a coupling made to go from the output of the transmission on the 250 motor (where the sproket goes) and the top of teh chain case where the secondary clutch normally is with the CVT.

I was just wondering about your guy's opinions, i just thought it would be neat maybe to make a 4 stroke odyssey with a 5 speed auto clutch insted of a CVT.  all in all it would be fun to drive.

whats your opinions?
79 odyssey, 340 twin
    340 twin 2 stroke motor swap
 message me to talk about my buggy or to tell me about yours

ludedude

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 07:34:15 PM »
I think it would be neat to try the auto-clutch 4 stroke, though I wonder how it will compare in power to a 2 stroke 350...or your 340 twin  :shock:

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
blew a piston
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 12:04:15 AM »
The idea of an auto clutch in a four stroke in an Oddy is very interesting.

First, a disclaimer:  I'm not a big fan of shifting a car.  I've never driven a single seater such as a Pilot or similar sized vehicle that requires shifting, but I have driven a couple two seaters that did - Hyabusa powered Coyotes from Desert Dog Off Road.  It's cool for about 10 minutes then it becomes a bit of a pain.  I'd much rather be able to concentrate on driving and not have the extra thing to worry about.

BUT, I'm USED to CVT type car, so I would probably get used to shifting if that's what I had to do.  I ride bikes and shift all the time (well, no where near as much as I did with a two smoke), and it's pretty much a no brainer deal anymore - natural part of riding.

That being said, the auto clutch idea is pretty slick!  I had a Rev-Loc in a 2001 YZF that was set up for the desert and it made riding a blast.  After riding that machine, one of the first modifications I did when I got my CRF450X was to install a Rekluse auto clutch.

Point and shoot.  Shift when needed.  I can stop on just about any uphill and then just roll into the throttle and drive right on up.  Makes the bike act like a mountain goat.

This sort of setup in an Oddy would probably be a total blast.

If I were to consider a bike power plant, the two that I'd look at would be the CRF450 and the YZF450.

Both of these engines put out 47-49 hp - a real world 45.  The CRF has a silky smooth delivery, while the YZ has more of a hit.  But you can tame the hit with a fly wheel weight.

The downside to both these engines is lack of e-start.  BUT, you could consider a CRF450X or WR450 unit.  The CRF450X is new - means they're not going to be as common and will be more money.  I've not seen hp numbers in print, but I'd bet 42 is realistic.

The WR's been around and is a damn fine engine.  In fact, I'd probably take it over the CRF - the reliability of the WR is excellent, while the CRF is a bit picky about valves - you MUST stay on top of oil changes, maintenance and such.

Both the X and WR have lighting coils and will support a small e-system.  There are quite a few companies that offer upgraded stators - 100W x 2 from e-line, as an example.  Baja Designs does some killer stuff with both bike's e-systems too.

One thing you would want - especially with the extra weight of the Oddy - would be to throw on the heaviest flywheel you can - either bike.

Wow, now that I think about it - how about the 450 quad engines???  E-start, and don't they have reverse??  Yamaha or Honda - toss up on which one.  The tranny on both machines is beefed up to take the extra stress and strain running two fat tires on the ground, versus one skinny knobby, would be worth the look at the quads over the bikes.  Yamaha will probably be just slightly more reliable - or not at touchy about lack of maintenance.

Check E-bay and see if you can find a "power pack" for either the YFZ450 or the TRX450- would have all the electronics, carb, exhaust and such - complete setup.

Having had the experience two different auto clutches (Rev-Loc & Rekluse), I can definitely say look at the Rekluse.  About half the price, no core exchange, easy to install.  It's a very sweet unit.

Contrary to some people's beliefs, an auto clutch does not shorten clutch plate life - if anything, it extends it.  It's a function of the way it engages.  They engage at a fairly low speed, and they do it in a short, but very controllable time.  As long as you don't try to ride in too high of a gear, you'll do great.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 01:01:50 AM »
More on the rekluse Skeeter :)  I know you can get one for the XR650R and thought of that as a powerplant. Electric start can be added ;) Though not cheap....and thought abouth the rekluse for that use...I'm wondering how the clutch would hold up to the extra weight of a Odyssey or a Pilot????

Moskito

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 10:09:38 AM »
I've heard that they do make one for the 650 - and I've also heard that it's one of the few bikes that has had issues with an auto clutch.  I don't know if Rekluse has solved the issues yet or not.

The clutch would probably take the abuse - but the tranny may not.  That's why I said go with a quad power plant.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 05:50:49 PM »
An XR650R
with a 680 kit, cam, piston, header & exhaust, you can boost the torque to about 50 lb/ft at 6,000 RPM and raise the rear wheel HP to 64 at 7,500 RPM.
from  http://www.xr650r.us

sounds like a nice powerplant, that would outperform

A modified CRF450R that includes a special cam grind that's installed to the correct degree with higher performance valve springs, retainers, guides, porting, 12:5.1 piston, power now valve, Doma exhaust and running Nutec Special 5 fuel produces about 34.7 lb/ft of torque 7,200 RPM and about 53.4 rear wheel HP at 9,200 RPM.
 (same source)

But if the tranny won't hold together........

Odyssey-340TWN

• View Profile
oo
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 06:06:16 PM »
i dont see why you couldnt use a motorbike motor, the DRZ 400 street and trail motor from suzuki is also in the Z400 suzuki quad and also in the arctic cat and kawasaki sport 400 quads, and that motor was origionally a motorbike motor was it not?
79 odyssey, 340 twin

ludedude

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 07:46:43 PM »
It's not the engine Moskito is pointing out may not hold up...but the transmission, in a bike it's may be made of lighter materials, bearings, etc, where a quad tranny may be beefier

Moskito

• View Profile
Re: oo
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 11:40:57 PM »
Quote from: "Odyssey-340TWN"
i dont see why you couldnt use a motorbike motor, the DRZ 400 street and trail motor from suzuki is also in the Z400 suzuki quad and also in the arctic cat and kawasaki sport 400 quads, and that motor was origionally a motorbike motor was it not?

Much of the engine will be the same - but the tranny section of a quad is always much beefier than on a bike.

How about one of the new 700cc Raptor engines??  They're fuel injected!

ludedude

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 07:59:03 AM »
Rekluse make a clutch for that? That would be a must in my books if I were to do a quad swap ;)

Moskito

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 08:13:24 AM »
Uh...
I have no clue if they make a clutch for that machine.  I just got off on the quad tangent and started thinking about ripper engines.

Odyssey-340TWN

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 01:02:58 PM »
ahaha stay with the CVT and use teh bombardier 800 outander motor, 800 twin fuel injection

that would make a pilot fly
79 odyssey, 340 twin

Moskito

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »
Quote from: "Odyssey-340TWN"
ahaha stay with the CVT and use teh bombardier 800 outander motor, 800 twin fuel injection

that would make a pilot fly
HOLY SHIT!!!  What a killer idea!  That quad is IMPRESSIVE!!!  (too bad it would be rediculously expensive to get one)

Got to throw a leg over one  a couple months ago and take it for a spin around an asphault parking lot.  Stab the throttle and it picks the front wheels up off the ground ever so easily.

Odyssey-340TWN

• View Profile
blew a piston
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 07:22:50 PM »
ahaha put that motor on a pilot take that out onto pavement!!!!    just come real dirty on to er' around a parking lot, have teh first ever pilot drift car
79 odyssey, 340 twin