Author Topic: PILOT SIDES AND FENDERS ????  (Read 4384 times)

HONDAJEFF

• View Profile
PILOT SIDES AND FENDERS ????
« on: July 10, 2005, 05:50:01 PM »
this is a total newbie question but here goes ... will the body work from a pilot fit a fl 350r???? has any one done this ???? i can see the frames are very alike in the pics i have seen. i know from reading this board some of you have owned or still own both buggies... i also am not looking for a bolt on job , if i need to make hangers and brackets i can do this...i guess i need to know if they would fit around the frame and look like the belong!!! not like some hacker zip tied some fenders to a go-kart to make it look like a pilot...i am really interested in the side panels and rear fenders, ill be leaving the front alone for now unless it looks stupid where the two meet. then ill have to do all the parts.. ("ill have a faker pilot") any thing you guys can tell me would help!!! thanks

Jeff
1985 HONDA ODYSSEY FL 350R
1985 HONDA ODYSSEY FL 350R (wifes)
2005 YAMAHA BLASTER YFS 200

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 06:09:11 PM »
One or two people have started/attempted it....I tried to find the posts on P-O.com but I didn't have any luck finding any. I think that's where they were posted...anyone else have better luck?

redrider

• View Profile
Just a function observation
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 09:13:43 PM »
Unless the engine on the 350 has a water cooled head, I'd have to recommend at least keeping the side scoops incorporated into the 350.  They are there for engine cooling purposes and would not allow for Pilot side plastic installation.  Without the Pilot side panel in place, I can't see where the Pilot rear fender would tie in at the front of the panel.

ludedude

• View Profile

HONDAJEFF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 09:50:02 PM »
its all apart right now and when i get my cylinder back from after shock I'm getting a box of goodies. one of them is a water cooled head!!! ill also be using a radiator with a fan. the pilots sides look like they have scoops??? i was thinking i could make ducks to help push air at the lower part of the motor,as well as keeping as much of the factory 350s air ducks in tack. so with mods you think they will fit????

Bucked

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 11:19:46 PM »
Brand new 350 fenders (front and rear) are only $250 from Hillside Honda. You'll spend twice that amount on used and 4 times that amount on new Pilot plastic. The fit won't be great and you are likely to be unappy with the final product.
If you want to stop debris from coming into the drivers compartment, you can buy or make side panel pieces that fit in the open triangular sections of the frame . The heat issue will likely be trouble with Pilot plastic since you don't have a water cooled cylinder.
The best deal on getting Pilot plastic is to buy it with a Pilot attached! One common reality with a 350 is you end up spending more on one after you buy all the extras for it then what you would have spent on a Pilot in the first place.
If you can buy a Pilot for $5000, why would you spend thousands on a 350 trying to make look and feel like a Pilot? I can ask this becasue I've "been there and done that".

Aussie Duner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 06:18:05 AM »
Hey Jeff
Here's a pic of a 350 with the Pilot plastic fitted,looks a little strange around the front fender area,its personal choice really but i think the 350 looks better with a nice new set of white Fenders.One mod i do like and its quite easy is the Pilot roof plate fitted to the 350,looks more modern that the stock 350 unit and easy to fit(see pic of my 350)

Cheers
Aussieduner

PS
Your package is leaving tomorrow my friend ;-)

HONDAJEFF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 04:55:43 PM »
ya i like the top alot!!! and the front is strange ... but what i really wanted to do was put on the pilot sides and rear fenders because they close in the frame where i sit ,they look like they have air scoops and the fenders are molded in ... so i don't think i could use the sides with out the rear fenders???? but i had planed on leaving the front alone (white with new white fenders and all new factory 350 stickers) thanks for all the help.

aussieduner i shipped out your package today!!!

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 06:03:17 PM »
I wonder if you could use the ducts on the Pilot's side panels for cooling....

It's the combo of the rear fender and the side panel that make the duct looking area - pretty much cosmetic, but after thinking about it, they may not be completely un-functional for your idea.

I wonder if you were to trim/bend/form the back end of the panel so it started pointing more or less towards the front of the cylinder (and this would creat a low pressure surface that would help force the air to follow the panel. (like tunnels under a race car)) and then come off the inside of the fender and form the scoop so it ducted the air to the sides of the cylinder.

Try using some styrofoam and make a mold that fits into the rear fender.  That would allow you to cut out the duct and make a form for a fiberglass or Aussie Duner style vaccuum table (you paying attention Tony?).

That 1" thick blue stuff you buy at the hardware store works good.  Since it's thin, you can just lay up layers inside the fender so you get a good fit for the mold.  Stick the stuff together with spray adhesive.

It cuts great with any sort of sharp knife.  You can also form it with rough sand paper and a right angle 1/4" air grinder with a sanding pad works great for blending, contouring and smoothing.

Just thinking out loud....
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 10:04:27 PM »
"I wonder if you could use the ducts on the Pilot's side panels for cooling....

It's the combo of the rear fender and the side panel that make the duct looking area - pretty much cosmetic, but after thinking about it, they may not be completely un-functional for your idea."

Did you ever see how much mud, and crap gets stuck in those "ducts"?

HONDAJEFF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 10:22:15 PM »
That is pretty much exactly what I was going to do with the sides. The only reason for using the Pilot rear fenders is because they are part of/ complete the side panel. Kinda look like 2 pieces to make the 1. As far as mud- don't go near the stuff. We do a lot of hardpack and rock. Mostly rock. The areas where I ride are like fields of basketball sized rocks or bigger real close to one another. I am usually leading a group of these.So most of you guys think that the rear fenders and side panels will work for what I am trying to do??????

That's my girlfriend and her Jeep. And that is mud on the front bumper only because it rained. :cry:

These are some shots from Paragon Adventure Park in Pennsylvania.....

Aussie Duner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 06:52:14 AM »
Jeff
What about this option for side plates ?

http://pre-machining.com/ebay-pages/fl350si.html

Lets you maintain the original fenders

Cheers
Aussieduner

PS
Will let you know when your goodies arrive,please do likewise :-)

HONDAJEFF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 04:45:14 PM »
ya i like them !!! ill get in touch with that guy ... what i really like is his number plates for the upper roll bar... may also help keep the sun off ya a little???

aussieduner ill let you know as soon as i get it!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH

SORRY i don't know what is going on with the pics i posted??? ill try to post them in the media gallery..

Aussie Duner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 03:54:30 AM »
No worries Jeff,pleasure to trade with you !

Cheers
Aussieduner