Author Topic: A couple pics of the trailer mod  (Read 2444 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
A couple pics of the trailer mod
« on: July 09, 2005, 07:13:01 PM »

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 07:16:40 PM »
And a couple of my rad relocation finally painted :big clap:

I've got more done to my pilot in prep for this trip to CC in the last 2 weeks than I have in the past 6 months to a year :bigthumbup:

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 07:19:13 PM »
I would without a doubt make sure the hardware holding those straps in place is at least grade 8 of even harder material. I would also use lock washers, and locktite to make sure they don't come out until YOU want them to. When you load just make sure you have plenty of weight on the tongue of the trailer. It'll be all over the road if you don't get it loaded right. Also something I learned from my last trip. Make sure you have a spare!

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 07:27:56 PM »
The bolts...hmmm...have to check..I think they're only grade 5...they're 3/4" though, and only the front end is on the ramp...I used nylocks for nuts...maybe I'll add some loctite...I rather drill and put in a cotter pin...but Loctite's quicker.

The trailer pulls fine loaded that way...have done it before, just with a makeshift setup for the ramp. The first pilot goes on with it's front wheels over the rail..the second one backs on.

By lifting on the tongue when loaded...I guess I have 75-100 lbs tongue load ;)

SPARE TIRE!!!! That I don't have...hmmm where to find one of those

Bucked

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 11:38:16 AM »
Not only would I carry a spare, you might want to consider carrying two. I carry two, although I have a tandem trailer, since the possibility of loosing 2 at once are greater with a tandem. Don't forget the obvious; a lug wrench, jack, plug kit and 12v compressor. A spare set of wheel bearings are cheap, so if you can, bring a set. The chances of those going out on a long trip are incredible.
 Don't forget to pin the radiator fan of the rear facing Pilot to stop it from spinning backwards. I usually take a Zip-Tie and push it through the fan guard plastic to keep it from spinning. Use the biggest one you can and don't worry about getting it "locked". I've never had one fall out and if it isn't locked onto something, it will allow it to spin free if you forget to remove it before riding.
Once last thing I want to mention that I have used is the safety chain links that are of the removable locking variety. I don't know what the name is but it's a replacement for the "S" hooks on the trailer safety chains. It has a bolt type closing lock that is tightened with a wrench. It can't bounce out like the "S" hook and it makes it a little harder for thieves to walk off with you trailer.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 03:04:07 PM »
Thanks Buck ;) PH and HD got me thinking on the spare already. I hope to pull the axle stub and take it to a junk yard tomorrow and see if I can get a set of spare rims/tires. I'm cleaning/re-packing the bearings before the trip, I'll take a bearing with me too and seei fI can pick up a spare set.

The fan turning backwards...is that an issue? I'm curious..if so..why?

I have a tongue lock that I'll take use when we go. My safety chains have chain hooks with clasp locks.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 09:34:25 PM »
Why turn the fan for 1600 miles if you dont have to? Just adds wear to the fan bearings is all.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 09:36:38 PM »
Good point...guess that's why you have 4 wrenches and I only have 2  :bigbow: