Author Topic: Fl350 Water cooled project test  (Read 3546 times)

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
Fl350 Water cooled project test
« on: July 03, 2005, 07:47:29 PM »
Finally got her finished today and tested for about 10 minutes.  All is good or so it seems.  Drastic improvement in performance with my new head I built.  I have not wired the pump and fan into the harness yet i just wired to the battery for now just to make sure pump and fan worked correctly.  Pulls hard thoughout the powerband.  It wont do a wheel stand with me in it yet it might with the girlfriend( she weighs about 1/2 of what I do)  It feels like the clutch slips, it is a newly rebuilt 102c with B1 weights and silver spring and in the ten minutes of testing I basicly shreaded a new belt :shock:  :shock:  :shock:   So if anyone can tell me if a Pilot belt will work, I would like to try the 4X4 tuff belt but don't know if it is the right length or width.

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
water cooled
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 10:02:17 PM »
The radiator is from a 2004 YFZ450 and weighs only 9 ounces.

Ozpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 11:55:21 PM »
Looks great.

Don't you love radiators that weigh less than the coolant!!

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 12:10:24 AM »
That's beautiful!

That radiator is EXPENSIVE if you buy it new...  I squished one with my knee a while back.  ouch... $$$
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
water cool
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 11:18:33 AM »
I got the radiator and fan for 140 bux on ebay a yearago.  I think the fan alone is like $160 from yamaha.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 11:24:15 AM »
That is one awesome looking machine! Very nice work ;)

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Re: water cool
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 08:42:20 AM »
Quote from: "cwwiedmaier"
I got the radiator and fan for 140 bux on ebay a yearago.  I think the fan alone is like $160 from yamaha.

Cool stuff.

Ah- YFZ450, not YZF450...
I was thinking bike - I saw the fan and thought YZ? not WR?  Makes sense now.   Dreaded missed details....
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
super head
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 12:15:04 PM »
I rode for 4 hours yesterday testing I am really impressed with the cooling.  Got the Digatron mounted and leads all in place(thanks Lude) and took her across country for about 30-40 miles.  Then ran out of gas about three miles from home :(   It didn't run completly out my exhaust temp spiked up 100 degrees and I knew then what I did.  So I stopped and idled for a while to cool and shut her down.  Called the better half and she rescued me.  Got home fueled back up and off I went.  I am running 91 octane with MC1 Bel ray fully synthetic racing oil(I swear by this stuff).  My water temperature reached at the highest 178 degrees F.  and that was running in river sand.  Exhaust temp dropped 50-75 degrees from before I was shocked.  The out side temperature was 90-95 and she ran like a champ didn't miss a lick.  For the first hour I was easy on her I just reringed the piston and I was breaking it in.

tsutton44

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 12:28:59 PM »
nice. looks great and good to hear the water cooling is working out well.I had gotten my banshee radiator new for a hundred bucks off of ebay.If i remember correctly they told me a new one from yamaha was 420.00 ouch !