Author Topic: Throwing some roost  (Read 2925 times)

king kx

• View Profile
Throwing some roost
« on: June 28, 2005, 08:07:12 PM »
New member on this board.  For those who don't know me from the other boards, I play in a GEN II Briggs car with a polaris indy 500 motor.  Currently building a FL350 with A arms up front and a kawasaki KZ 750 engine, should be fun in the dunes.  I hope I can be an asset to this group of riders.
Mark

ludedude

• View Profile
Throwing some roost
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 08:58:58 PM »
Welcome Mark! Glad to have you aboard ;)

Ozpilot

• View Profile
Throwing some roost
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 09:12:07 PM »
Hi Mark.  I've seen your name on other boards but didn't realise you had a Briggs.  It seems from what I have seen on the web those cars were (and still are) really something.  

The odyssey sounds interesting.  A few of us have tried things similar in the past and I think it is fair to say the results have varied.  It sounds like you are taking a balanced approach doing suspension and power at the same time - it will be good to see the results!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Briggs car
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 09:58:36 PM »
What the heck is a Briggs car? Isn't that one of those little cars that run on railroad tracks?
Enlighten me please.
Rooky

king kx

• View Profile
Throwing some roost
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 10:20:35 PM »
Gen II briggs car is  a cross between an ody and a drakart.  Originally came with the FL 350 engine that was liquid cooled MSD ignition and turned 13,500rpm.  Uses a RPM triton True trans, VW rear axles, full disc brakes, fox shocks in the rear, works shocks up front.  Each wheel has 12" of travel.  Has a fiberglass nose/body and sheet metal sides.  I upgraded it to a polaris indy 500 engine and built  the motor.  The cars were individually built by Bob Briggs and his crew on the west coast.  They kicked but then and still kick but today.  I'm told that when you can find them for sale they go for 8-10k all bent up and needing repair and up to 25k in race ready trim.  I don't know though as I have never seen another on for sale.

ludedude

• View Profile
Throwing some roost
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 10:44:31 PM »
Sweet! Got any pictures you canpost...here or in the gallery?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
briggs car
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 11:03:51 PM »
These pics are probably out of date. I do know that he hammered that buggy pretty hard the entire weekend, even flat tires didn't slow him down.

ludedude

• View Profile
Throwing some roost
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 11:06:46 PM »
nice! I remember those pics now...hand or foot controls?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Briggs
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 08:56:21 AM »
That thing is awesome!! Wish I had one! At that price though, I believe i'll settle with my pilot.
Rooky

king kx

• View Profile
Throwing some roost
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 09:23:35 PM »
The buggy has foot controls.  A lot has changed since those pics were taken.  Has a complete new exhaust, new fuel tank, new air box set up, and a set of front rims off a pilot, save about 37lbs.  I think I've redone everything on the machine except the cosmetics which aren't all that bad for an east coast buggy.

tsutton44

Throwing some roost
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 01:34:04 AM »
nice, i havent seen many myself and this one is still looking pretty good.
have fun with that baby,the fl350 project sounds good let us know how it is coming along and what you had to do to stuff that big motor in  :D

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Throwing some roost
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 09:03:57 AM »
Gen II Briggs Built - one rocking lite!!!

Set up correctly they are darn near untouchable.  (except by Gen III & Gen IV cars and Joe Price in his old "factory" Triple EEE)

The Gen III had a different rear suspension - as I recall, it was Bob's first attempt at a link suspension instead of a trailing arm.  The Gen IV cars were a refinement of the link suspension.

Front end didn't change that much among the different designs - just improved versions.  The Gen IV was narrow up front and had really long a-arms.  (Once again, as I recall.  Been a long time since I've seen a Brigg's Built)

I would imagine that you can still get tranny parts from Dan Roberto (RPM) for that thing.  But don't hold me to it.

Sorry that these pix below aren't better quality.  They've been increased in size by this web site's posting program and now are grainy...

I didn't know how to do thumbnails back then so I resized everything and don't have the original pix anymore.  BUMMER!!!
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

tsutton44

Throwing some roost
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 09:39:37 AM »
cool
i imagine there arent many around anymore,and would be quite pricy still if you could.I wished i had been into it a lot more back then when they were running.
Breeze was running one at that time wasn't he ?I dont think he had a briggs but not sure.

ludedude

• View Profile
Throwing some roost
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 10:27:25 AM »
If you click the picture you'll see it in the original size and quality ;)

Cool pics!