Author Topic: What to change on the Pilot  (Read 5582 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
What to change on the Pilot
« on: June 25, 2005, 02:36:32 PM »
I know this has been done before...I know it's on KiowA's...but I can't access the site right now...and I'd like to do another. List things you'd change...and rate them on importance from 1 to 10, 1 being be nice, but no big deal, 10 being, must have. Leave price out of the picture for now...but be realistic none the less.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 02:42:50 PM »
Disc Brakes - 10
+2 Arms - 6
Better stock front shocks - 7
longer cockpit, ~4" - 5
wider cockpit ,~4" - 5
4 stroke, minimum 60hp - 8
sealed bottom cockpit - 6
sealed CVT drive - 10
larger rear disc brake to reduce brake pad wear - 5
rad reloacted - 6
larger tank - 6
built in gauges - 4
chromoly cage - 7
nerfs and bumpers standard - 7

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 03:18:47 PM »
I'm stealing the majority of your post...

Disc Brakes - 10  this would include a better rear disc  - vented .75" wide, and discs up front w/dual piston calipers - like on a TRX 450.  Needs a bias lever.
Pedal operated brakes - 7 - Maybe an option?
Pedal operated throttle - 7 - Maybe an option?  I'd rather have a trigger style throttle - like on the old 550 Jet Skis instead of a thumb throttle - that would require relocation of the brakes to the floor, though.
+2 Arms - 8 ....   How about an honest 10"-12" travel front/rear instead of widening it a bunch?
Better shocks - 10 (comp/rebound & preload adjustable)
4 stroke, minimum 60hp - 9  90 hp would be more fun - 10
sealed CVT drive - 3  ???  I'm guessing for water issues?
I'd rather have a scatter shield that allows for quick belt changes.
rad relocated - 10
High flow intake & filtration - 8  (with an airbox designed for the engine)
larger tank - 10
built in gauges - 3
chromoly cage - 10
nerfs and front bumper standard - 7  I don't care for rear bumpers - would rather have the frame braced instead.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

canpilot

• View Profile
Re: What to change on the Pilot
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 10:51:48 PM »
#10(First)... get rid of the belt and go chain driven with a tranny and a shifter. By now someone would have figured out some kind of air-operated push-button shifting mechanism or something. These things would just rip!

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 08:22:24 AM »
If it were to go to F1 style push button shifting.....then would you have it with foot operated throttle and brakes?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 08:26:45 AM »
Plastic - wider fenders...maybe softer more flexible fender flares added to the outter edges - 5

Plastic - change rear fender, get rid of the through hole to the rear wheel, it's just a mud collector - 6

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 08:28:45 AM »
I'm going to let this run for a bit...then take all the ideas, compile one list and set up a survey where you can rate the different ideas....be neat to see what the "improved" Pilot would be, as built up by people who actually use them :)

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What to change
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 09:21:34 AM »
I like the hand controls the way they are. Have two buggys with foot controls, and in rough terrain, I find it hard to keep my feet on the pedals.Hand controls took a bit of getting used too, but now I wish my others had them.
Rooky

canpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 11:12:35 AM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
If it were to go to F1 style push button shifting.....then would you have it with foot operated throttle and brakes?

not necessarily, I don't think it would be too hard to push a button with your left thumb, but if it did have foot controls, the tub would need to be longer, it's borderline right now for length.

canpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 11:16:19 AM »
I'm going to let this run for a bit...then take all the ideas, compile one list and set up a survey where you can rate the different ideas....be neat to see what the "improved" Pilot would be, as built up by people who actually use them :)

... maybe it would look like this...?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 12:09:31 PM »
I forget where that came from..seen it before...what's the background on that? Any more shots from different angles? Engine? Drive train?

canpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 12:14:53 PM »
I forget where that came from..seen it before...what's the background on that? Any more shots from different angles? Engine? Drive train?

... no idea where - looks like some salt or sand flats somewhere. I only had the 1 pic. Weirdly, I can't see the pic??? I have checked everything I can think of on my computer settings and I can't see the posted pics. This is the only place on the net that I can't. :oops:

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 12:57:42 PM »
one thing that I think should be addressed is the amount of rear suspension in relation to where it bottoms out on the chassis before the suspension is used up.  more up travel than the chassis is capable of having.  To limit or eliminate this would make it safe in a bottom out situation.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 02:52:31 PM »
The buggy in that pic is a modded FL350. Look at the steering wheel controls. It is also some kind of twin, from a sled most likely. Two chrom plated pipes! Can't see enough to really tell about the rear suspsension.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Buggy pic
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 03:23:34 PM »
Don't know what it is, but it loks freakin cool though!