Author Topic: Rim Centers - I can make them....  (Read 4181 times)

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Rim Centers - I can make them....
« on: May 29, 2005, 09:20:43 PM »
Just thinking out loud and trying something new.

I've made up some rim centers for 10" wheels, and I'm working on a set for the Dez too. (15" rims, .75" thick plate that will get a bunch removed).

I just have to cut the middle out of regular aluminum wheels, do a bolt hole pattern and drop in my centers. - that should take 5 min/wheel or so.  My jig plate can hold up to a 16" rim.

I can do all sorts of stuff on the plates.  Logos, drawings, holes, patterns - what ever you can think of within reason.

Not sure on pricing yet, but I'm thinking 40 - 50 bucks/wheel - will depend on what sort of logo is wanted and if I can find said logo in a dxf file or if I have to actually make the dxf file from a drawing (ouch).  I can convert ACAD files too - easily...

The unit shown below is .250" thick 6061-T6.  I'm making a couple sets for a buddy of mine for his golf cart.  Should be tough enough.  It's shouldered on the back side so it fits nice and tight in the rim.  Each of the guitars takes 9:36 to make.  The centers take about 10 min each right now, but I expect I can knock the time down to about 6-7 min. each
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

the bogger

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »
Hey Mosquito-you ever going to start a new line of those cool heads you did a while back by chance?Are they still in production at all or was it a 1 shot deal?

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 09:48:30 PM »
Quote from: "the bogger"
Hey Moskito-you ever going to start a new line of those cool heads you did a while back by chance?Are they still in production at all or was it a 1 shot deal?

Not a chance.

I put out a feeler post on the P-O board a couple weeks ago seeing if anyone was interested and I got very little response, two negative comments and one flame.

After that, well, sorry, but my attitude towards trying to make things for the Pilot is pretty much go piss on a wall.

I would have been more than happy to make stuff, but the slams, bitches and people saying I'm trying to take advantage of others pretty much seals the deal. - to the point that I GAVE away the last head I had.

Bad attitude?  Maybe so, but I sure wasn't trying to do any harm.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 11:52:44 PM »
I totally understand and agree, sorry, but I agree. Glad I got mine!

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 06:59:37 AM »
Here's another rim center.
More pix here:  http://www.k-fab50s.com/misc.htm

Aussie Duner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 07:32:56 AM »
Is that a Gibson Les Paul i spy on that centre ? looks like my Cherry Suburst Custom ,yeah i can belt out a few dozen Kiss numbers...dig Ace Frehley's style !

Aussieduner

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 09:30:27 AM »
Quote from: "Aussie Duner"
Is that a Gibson Les Paul i spy on that centre ? looks like my Cherry Suburst Custom ,yeah i can belt out a few dozen Kiss numbers...dig Ace Frehley's style !

Aussieduner

Good eye!

It's a buddy of mine's favorite ax.

I just gave my 12 year old daughter my old SG and picked up a new Schecter Hell Raiser for myself.

Can't play worth a shit, but I sure have fun pissing off the neighbors.  :shock:

Frehley, eh?  The guy rocks, no doubt about it.

Aussie Duner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 09:49:00 AM »
I used to play in pub bands doing covers of Kiss,Poison,etc etc many years ago,thats how i met my lovley wife Sharon, she was a singer in one of the bands.Boy those were the days ! dont remember a lot to be honest was having far too much fun if you get my drift  :oops:  :wink:

Aussieduner

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 07:36:02 PM »
Quote from: "Aussie Duner"
I used to play in pub bands doing covers of Kiss,Poison,etc etc many years ago,thats how i met my lovley wife Sharon, she was a singer in one of the bands.Boy those were the days ! dont remember a lot to be honest was having far too much fun if you get my drift  :oops:  :wink:

Aussieduner

LOL! Hey Aussie, if you ever lose your mind and decide to move to our side of the planet, definitely look us up! From your posts, it looks like you'd fit right in with us!!! :lol:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

Aussie Duner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 04:44:51 AM »
Ive been in the US twice and each time i had an excellent time,im due for another visit possibly at the end of this year to go duning with Franko from Ven Co in California and other family stuff,we have friends in Arcadia just out of LA,man there are some crazy mofo's in that city !

Cheers
Aussieduner

PS
Will bring a carton of good Aussie beer with me  :lol:

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rock n Roll
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 09:44:33 AM »
Hey Aussie
Old rocker myself! Used to play those pubs regularly myself! Didn't find my wife there, but almost lost her a few times though.
Big Kiss fan too. Still got all their albums including solos  and a million posters somewhere. Haven't had those out in years.
Also a big Ace fan. Did you get a look at him in their reunion tour a few years back? That dude is burnt! Think I could out play him now! I know his potential though, and that keeps the respect and admiration going.
Some old heads and myself still play every once in a while, and it's still as much fun as it used to be. Really more, cause now I can remember what happened the next day, and don't feel near as bad.
Bought a new Strat Plus in 1990 and still my favorite. Haven't found one to this day that plays as good.
Rooky

Aussie Duner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 07:35:18 PM »
Hi Rooky
Yeah i like Ace's pentatonic repeditive licks but they sound so good,plus the Kiss numbers didnt have to many chord progressions so again easy to remember and play.Kiss first toured Australia in 1980,I WAS THERE,think i was 16 or so :oops: Evertime they have been back to Oz my wife and i have seen them ! i get a kick out of my kids when i catch them humming a Kiss tune or singinig "Rock'N'Roll All Night or something.
As for Ace,man he's done some serious drugs and booze and it shows but at least he's not dead,would have sold myself to the devil to be him when i was young !
If your on e-bay have a look for my tag..Aussieduner... i sell a lot of Kiss collectables from Australia to other countries,they are still very popular after all these years ! I still have only the one axe,the ultimate weapon of its type much like the Pilot is..a Gibson Les Paul custom.

Been very cool talking with you Rooky.

Cheers
Aussieduner

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Bob Art
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 10:39:41 PM »
or if I have to actually make the dxf file from a drawing (ouch)

Bob Art from the makers of Bob CAD will convert a raster image to a vector CAD file. It will also do this thing where it will create the drawing in a series of back and forth movements moving down then back up each time it crosses a line.

I sprang for a full copy of Bob CAD 20 because I wanted to do solid modeling. I created a new intake for oversize carbs on the Pilot and FL350. I wanted the solid modeling capability for the blend from the carb to the reed stuffer of an '88 CR250. It did not work out as planned though. It will solid model, but I still needed to generate the data points for a wire frame to model on. I ended up creating a huge spreadsheet to get my data points (216 of them). I never did create a solid model. I entered two of the three values of each point into a 2D image just to see if the cross sectional shape came out right. I then referenced the data points in the spreadsheet from formulas creating each line of machine code. So I directly created the machine code from the data points. I am not sure Bob CAD would have handled the code generation properly anyway because I am doing undercuts. Bob CAD does not have a provision for using tooling that does undercuts. I can't even do automatic cutter compensation on the mill because of the undercuts.

The first one was almost done and a board fried in the CNC controller. It was $2000 for the board. We chose instead to replace the entire controller with a new modern one for about $5000. I now wrote a utility to convert the proprietary machine code of the old controller to the standard G and M code of the new controller.

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 01:25:14 AM »
Here's the next version.  This is just a Bob-Cad rendering - doesn't have any radiused edges shown, but they'll all be rounded on the final product.