Author Topic: How much to spend on a Pilot  (Read 3237 times)

ty

• View Profile
How much to spend on a Pilot
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
Hello Pilot experts,

I am looking at getting a Pilot 400 and wanted to get some input on what would be considered a good deal.  I have seen asking prices on Pilots from 4 to 15 K on Craig's List and Ebay, yet Nada puts the average used value at $1200. My family all rides quads and we go to Glamis at least once a month, so if they don't do well in the sand then I wouldn't want one. I don't have the space in my trailer for a side by side but I do for a buggy the size of the pilot, hence my interest in these cool little buggies.

I am looking at one now with some aftermarket lights, new plastic, and a rebuilt top end (so the owner says), and he is asking $4,200 firm. I just don't want to get ripped off. I have a hard time dropping that kind of dough on an atv that is over 20 years old, I could get a newer fuel injected Raptor 700 for that price.

Thanks for you help.

Ty  ;D
Oceanside

Fox minibike                Raptor 250
Honda XR 75               Outlaw 90
Suz RM 80                  Can Am DS 90
Hodaka Super Rat        Suz LTZ 250
Suz DR 180
Suz TS 250
Suz TS 400
Suz GSXR 1100
Polaris Predator 500
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:30:37 PM by ty »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: How much to spend on a Pilot
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:28:14 AM »
NADA is what a dealer will give on trade in. This would already be low for any vehicle. The discrepancy gets bigger as a machine ages. A dealer does not want a Pilot because it would take too long to sell.

That price is reasonable for a Pilot. When a Pilot was new, it cost more than small cars. Today, one would be 12-15K.

If you are going to modify it, FL350s are much cheaper, but can be modded to be similar to a modded Pilot. Stock to stock, the Pilot is much better.

ty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
Well, I picked up the Pilot about a month after the original post for $3600.  My 10 year old son loves it, and I have fun on it as well.  We go to Glamis once or twice a month during the riding season and it is getting a lot of use.  I am surprised how well it handles and climbs in the dunes and I like the safety benefit.  We will be looking to do some performance mods once the riding season is over and we bring it back home.  I'd like to find a quieter pipe without sacrificing performance...any suggestions?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »
What kind of pipe do you have now?

ty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:11:07 AM »
The stock one.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »
I think you will be hard pressed to get the sound levels quieter than a stock exhaust. What I would try though is finding another stock muffler. Cut it apart and see if you can wrap the outside with silencer packing without reducing the flow. With it being both a muffler and a silencer, that may do it.