Author Topic: new to the scene  (Read 2571 times)

mojo1979

• View Profile
new to the scene
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »
so i am now the proud owner of an 85 fl350! Looking for some advice on things to look out for..... on preventing me from blowing it up in the first week, mods that i should definately be doing, preventitive maintenance, most common malfunctions, etc. Any help would be much appreciated...thanks!

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Re: new to the scene
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
In my opinion, The most important thing with the 350 is making sure you adjust the carb jetting for the temperature. Larger jets for colder temps, smaller for warmer. The crank seals go bad with time and cause air leaks, as do cracked intake boots. Air leaks will confound attempts to get the engine running right and usually lead to meltdowns of the piston.

And welcome to the site!
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:29:20 AM »
EGT's are about considered mandatory on a 350....Also check those u joints in the rear axles...They make a mess when they fail....
Hoodlum

mojo1979

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
Thanks fellas...its much appreciated! Do you know of a good place to get used parts? I need an airbox cover...any ideas? If you can think of anything else please share! Thanks again!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
There is always a ton of stuff on e-bay for the 350's.....

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:32:17 PM »
I would change the oil in the gear box and look for metal bits or a silver hue in the old oil. I would change the counter balancer oil and make sure the new oil level is at the low mark on the dip stick. I would make sure the snorkel on the bottom of the air box is properly seated on the air box. If removing the air box, I suggest installing the air box, snorkle and carb as one piece. That way you can make sure the snorkel is connected to the air box off the machine where you can get to the connection. Check the compression. Jack up the machine and check if the U-joints are tight. Grease the trailing arms.

Service Manual

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »
Welcome to the site... These guys know their stuff on here.  Listen to what they say, toss ideas off them and you'll have a fun machine to run around in.

Ebay is awsome for FL350 and FL400R parts...If you have the space, you may want to watch for a parts machine...one that is seen it's glory days and is a basket case...You can still find those pretty easily.  Also ask around on here to see who has what sitting on the shelf...

Be aware, there is one "self proclaimed expert" who is a blow hard and has an ego the size of New York.  He'll try to get you to buy one of his motor rebuilds and say it's "Hoserized"...only thing Hoserized is your wallet...LOL.  So don't get hosed by the Hoser.  Fortunately for us he's not a member of this site...

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person

mojo1979

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
Thanks guys! My new machine is pretty clean and i will follow the instructions on fluids. I just ordered some tires as the ones on her were pretty dry rotted. Other than that ill hopefully find a airbox cover change some fluids, add an egt and she'll be ready to go! Is 20:1 the way to go with these? And what types of fluids should i replace the ones you so kindly mentioned, livewire? Thanks for the welcome!

mojo1979

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
Never mind didnt catch the service manual attachment the first time around......Thank you!

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »
I run 32:1 using a full synthetic oil. This combined with dropping the stock 52 slow jet to a 45 will greatly reduce black spooge oozing from the exhaust manifold.

Here is an EGT/CHT/Tach you might take a look at:
http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Electrical-Gauges/Digitron-Memory-EGT-CHT-Tach

I don't have them listed yet, but made brackets to mount that gauge to the lower roll cage bolts.