Author Topic: Big wheel setup  (Read 3973 times)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Big wheel setup
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:25:52 PM »
The rear tires are about the same height as the stock tires, just with less sidewall. They are lighter than the stock wheels and tires too.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Big wheel setup
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55:37 PM »
I think that looks good!!!! Red lock rings on those wheels would look great too!!!!

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »
Red lock rings on those wheels would look great too!!!!

That would be a nice touch to set them off.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:01:17 PM »
Those wheels are available in a machine finish as well, plus there are other wheels that will work. One I like is black in all the internal areas then machined on the outer face. It is a 5 spoke. They are not beadlocks, but they could be made into beadlocks. What is nice about a cast wheel is that they can be thicker where needed unlike a spun wheel. These should not bend the outer lip like a spun wheel does. One of the main reasons people put beadlocks on is the strengthen the outer lip.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:06:06 PM »
My favorite reason for beadlocks is to prevent debris from packing in the bead and causing rim leaks.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
The stock rims have a much taller hump to hold the bead on than the spun aluminum wheels. So you have as much issue with things getting packed in stock wheels as spun aluminum? The cast wheels are similar to the stock wheels in terms of that hump. With 12" wheels, the rim is closer to the ground if running the same height tire. I wonder if that would worsen that issue. On the other hand, less sidewall flex may help.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 05:32:52 AM »
So you have as much issue with things getting packed in stock wheels as spun aluminum? 

Yeah, the stock rims are just as bad. The only difference is they are harder to break the bead to clean them up.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
Those wheels are available in a machine finish as well, plus there are other wheels that will work. One I like is black in all the internal areas then machined on the outer face. It is a 5 spoke. They are not beadlocks, but they could be made into beadlocks. What is nice about a cast wheel is that they can be thicker where needed unlike a spun wheel. These should not bend the outer lip like a spun wheel does. One of the main reasons people put beadlocks on is the strengthen the outer lip.

Here is that wheel