Author Topic: Front disk brake kit sneak peek  (Read 4521 times)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Front disk brake kit sneak peek
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »
The one picture is a mock up with a Formula Cross hub just set in place for reference. The other picture is the new front hub being machined with a 3D CAD rendering pasted on top.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Re: Front disk brake kit sneak peek
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
How long do you figure before a set is done?
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
I am hoping this weekend. I have brackets for the Pilot done as well. The bolt pattern for the bracket is different. I also have alternate brackets for the 350 and 400 put the caliper in front of the knuckle to push the weight forward. I know you were trying to shift more weight onto the front tires. It's not much, but every little bit counts. The entire setup is likely lighter than the components it replaces so putting the calipers at the front probably just puts you back to the same weight balance.

I also want to make a big brake variation for use with 12" wheels. The rotor will be 2" bigger and a matched longer caliper bracket. That will give great braking even with 25" tall tires.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
That's interesting about the option of relocating the caliper forward of the axle. I'd like to drive one of each, please, to see which one I want for my Pilot. ;D

The 12" setup should be great. I waiting to see how Jeff's work on the rear brake comes out.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:36:29 AM by odypilots »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »
Since everything else is the same, to go from rear mounted to front mounted would be to remove the hub and bracket, put new bracket on and hub back on. The one caveat is if the brake lines will be long enough going to the front. I might be just a matter of making sure the routing is such that the caliper can be moved without disconnecting the line and having to bleed them again. I'm not sure you would be able to feel seat of the pants roughly 3 lbs for both sides moved 10" forward though.

My rear brake setup will use a different caliper than Jeff. The reason is that I think trimming the webbing on the trans to fit a dual piston caliper in their will be a hard sell to most people. I am looking at using a similar caliper that is a floating single piston like the stock caliper.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
My rear brake setup will use a different caliper than Jeff. The reason is that I think trimming the webbing on the trans to fit a dual piston caliper in their will be a hard sell to most people. I am looking at using a similar caliper that is a floating single piston like the stock caliper.

I'm wondering if just cooling the stock caliper so it doesn't overheat the fuild might not be best option.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »
My primary driving force on the rear brakes is the discontinuing of repair parts. You are pretty limited in what can be accomplished. A bigger piston gives more surface area so more pressure on the pads. It also requires more fluid though so there is the possibility of the brake lever bottoming. A bigger rotor gives more leverage, but reduces ground clearance.

There is some hope for better braking though. Jeff in using a dual piston caliper gets a little more squeeze from the caliper over a floating caliper. This is because not only does the one piston have to move twice as far which is a wash, but it also has to slide the caliper body on the pins. The drag on the pins reduces how tight the caliper can squeeze the pads. Now in the Pilot and Odyssey rear caliper, like many brake calipers, the pads are located by the caliper body. So the system is trying to slide something which at that very moment has tremendous side load on it. The calipers I am using for the front brake kit locates the pads with the pins threaded into the bracket. The caliper itself slides on those same pins. Since it does not have the side load of the braking force on it, the calipers can slide much easier and nearly all the the fluid pressure acts to squeeze the pads together. One caliper I am considering for the rear works a similar same way.

Another thing I have thought about theoretically is two smaller calipers instead of one large one. Some of a pad is riding near the outside of the rotor with more leverage and some of the pad is riding closer to the center. If the pads are smaller, more of it is near the outside. Hence you have more leverage with the same size rotor. That may be the thinking behind some of the newer race calipers that have really long narrow pads. The pads on the calipers pictured above are about the same area as what the ones used on the Drakart were, but are longer and narrower.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »
More updates