Author Topic: How long before mixed fuel goes bad?  (Read 4115 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
How long before mixed fuel goes bad?
« on: February 06, 2005, 06:10:28 PM »
What's the time frame on mixed fuel going bad in a steel fuel tank? And then what happens when it goes bad?

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 06:57:46 PM »
depends on ambient air temp, ambient humidity, type of oil, if it is stored in in sunlight etc....  
Generally fuel will lose 1 octane point a week in a typicle 5 gallon container.   Stabil will slow the process down a little but gasoline like to suck the moisture out of everything and therefore kill its potency.   Keeping it in a cool dry area with zero sunlight will help.
  If you have fuel that is over a month old and your machine requires 91 octane or BOOM, then do not use it. it is not worth the gamble.  on the other hand most production cars (non hi-po) will run off it.  Just dump the 5 gallons mixed or not mixed in to a 3/4 full tank.  This will dilute the oil enough not to foul the plugs or catalytic converters.

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 12:39:18 PM »
I take my old fuel to the local recycling station after one month of non-use. I don't have any data backing up this course of action, just something I've done out of habit which has worked for me. I didn't ever consider using this old fuel in my daily driving vehicles, but Odykid uses it in one of his trucks and he hasn't had any issues, so I don't think there's a problem with doing the same thing. I'd rather use less-than-one-month-old 93-octane fuel in my Pilot than go through a rebuild issue due to having used old fuel.

Just my dos centavos!  :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 04:16:34 PM »
Yeah...just trying to determine why Sinc's bottome end went this past weekend. Ted's was easy to figure out. His clutch was not on properly and toasted the clutch side bearing/seal.

Sinc's rod end bearing's seized, and the clutch side bearing/seal is bad too. Omce again, we have no idea how many hours were on this bottom end either.

We'll all be on pretty even  ground now. I have 13 hours on the 500...Ted's was rebuit this weekend...new bottom end...used top end that I would prefer to change out with a fresh one in the near future...and Sinc's will hopfully be rebuilt  soon...need a least piston and rings...that sucker got way hot when it croaked!

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 10:02:18 PM »
Quote from: "PilotSniper"
I take my old fuel to the local recycling station after one month of non-use. I don't have any data backing up this course of action, just something I've done out of habit which has worked for me. I didn't ever consider using this old fuel in my daily driving vehicles, but Odykid uses it in one of his trucks and he hasn't had any issues, so I don't think there's a problem with doing the same thing. I'd rather use less-than-one-month-old 93-octane fuel in my Pilot than go through a rebuild issue due to having used old fuel.

Just my dos centavos!  :D

93 octane gas??? Not in Commiefornia.  must be race fuel if it that high here  :)

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 12:28:47 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but you don't have 93-octane premium fuel (I prefer BP/Amoco Ultimate) in California?  :?

I know the VOC laws are wacky over there because I deal in automotive coatings and there's an ENTIRELY different segment of the business for each individual manufacturer dedicated to making and maintaining automotive coatings products that are allowable for use in California. What a pain in the arse that is!!!

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 12:30:52 PM »
We only have 91 here :(

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 04:54:03 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
We only have 91 here :(

Wow! I had no idea that was the case. I wonder what the deal is with not having 93-octane???

I feel special now!  :wink:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 05:21:15 PM »

Now? You were always special  :lol:

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 05:23:48 PM »

Now? You were always special  :lol:

:oops:

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 07:49:49 PM »
Shpeshal Boy?

Can't get anything over 91 out here in Phoenix, but can get 93 all day long (and occasionally 94) in Ohio.   Must be the greenies....
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 10:22:41 PM »
Quote from: "Moskito"
Shpeshal Boy?

Can't get anything over 91 out here in Phoenix, but can get 93 all day long (and occasionally 94) in Ohio.   Must be the greenies....

That's interesting! I've never seen ANY 94-octane gas!!!  :shock:

I'm still wondering what the reason is for not having any gas higher than 91-octane??? Do you have only two grades of gas at your stations or do they have three grades, but start the lowest at a lower octane level? If the 91-octane is the highest grade, do they call it Premium, Gold or Ultimate like they do around here?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 12:44:04 AM »
3 grades.. 89, 90, and 91. Regular, Mid-grade, and Premium

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 08:55:57 AM »
3 grades.. 89, 90, and 91. Regular, Mid-grade, and Premium

Ditto.
Usually 89, 91 & 93 in Ohio.

I'll check the pumps (pay attention) here in Phoenix when I go fill all the fuel tanks, cans, carriers, holders and such this afternoon, getting ready for Glamis.

Should be leaving for the dunes in about 24 hours with 4 buddies, 6 MX bikes, the K-fab CRF50 & the Dez.

A week in the sand!!!

Gotta throw a paddle on the CRF50 (12" paddles are a mother to mount) and the Dez gets it's sand sneakers too.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 09:05:16 AM »
HEY!! How's the killer CRF...where's the pics! I want to see the mini mini killer :) LOL