Author Topic: WHAT A BLAST!!!  (Read 1327 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
WHAT A BLAST!!!
« on: January 25, 2005, 09:35:02 AM »
Man what a dump of snow we've had.....a week ago this past Sunday, i was driving on frozen, but mostly bare ground...NOW.....4' outside....most things are closed again today to allow clean-up. Went out riding yesterday on a road that just had a one lane path cleared in it.....maybe 7' wide...must have been a private plow truck that did it. Anyhow...the snow was 3-4' deep on both sides! Run through there WOT..spinning fish-tailing the whole time....trying to keep the thing between the edges. If you tagged the side at all with the front you went for a 360? spin in a totally white out...all fluffy powder snow.

Never had so much fun. My speed sensor's toast..but I'm guessing I was hitting 45-55mph.....does it ever send up cloud of powder when you tag the edge. I wish I could have gotten that on video! That would have been sweet. Buddy of mine was along side IN the powder on his sled and saw me do one or two spins...LHAO :)

Can't get to the track :( But this was just as fun.....no I think more so

PilotSniper

• View Profile
WHAT A BLAST!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 10:26:05 AM »
Snow? What the heck is that?  :lol:

It sounds like something I need to add to my list of "things to do before I die". LOL!!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

tsutton44

WHAT A BLAST!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 01:36:21 PM »
being from northern illinois -southern wisconsin,we usually see a decent amount of snow.Not like years past but you dont want too much either.

nothing like it,love the ice and snow season.A local warming spot like a nice warm tavern and cold beer to add to the fun.

I liked to go out on the lake i lived on and make a track or two, spend the day and night out there(house was only 60 seconds away too),maybe a little ice fishing or a nice warm fire on the shoreline but definetly a warm up session or two with a cold beer and back to the flat trackin on the ice  :D

ludedude,you using ice screws?

Nothing like a cold blast of snow down the neck when your spinning out in the cloud of snow  :shock:

ludedude

• View Profile
WHAT A BLAST!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 01:41:41 PM »
No I'm not using any screws....thought about studding an old worn out set...but never got around to it...

tsutton44

WHAT A BLAST!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 11:03:49 AM »
It's a blast whichever way you like to ride in the snow.If you stud the rear you will have to stud the front too or you will have little or no steering.

Do you have any lakes close buy ? It's great to go out and cut in a track or take a plow out there and make a nice big oval track to blast around on.

soon enough you will probably get the attention of all the other toy's in the area and end up running and racing around the track and lake.maybe some new riding friends too.

Where i grew up we run all year around ,you would be surprised at the amounts of people ,sleds,atv's,fisherman/woman etc. out on the lakes.
It's a great time as long as you are prepared for it.

If you stud the tires ,stud the front for max traction and stud the rear for some slippage.The rear may take a little bit of adjustment and figuring as far as numbers and pattern of studs but once you get it dialed in it will stick well to the ice but have the slippage you need for the turns.

Ice cutters ,cold cutters etc. screws are really the only way to go 1/4" heads x 5/8 length should do fine,dont use the 1/2"long-too short and u will spit them out easily.The 5/8 lengths should be good for most any tire as 3/4 long is usually to long for most tires.Slotted hex head sheet metal screws will work and i used them for years on just about everything i had but the the good ice screws you just cant beat.

ludedude

• View Profile
WHAT A BLAST!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 11:54:23 AM »
What difference do the ice screws make? Wear or traction?

tsutton44

WHAT A BLAST!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 09:25:10 PM »
Traction ! big time.The good ice screws are much more solid and of a different design than regular slotted hex head sheet matal screws.The hexes tend to wear out way quicker,especially around any kind of pavement you might have to cross to get to wherever your going riding.
They do and will work for you if thats all you have on hand but i think when or if you try the good ice screws you wont go back.They have a wide spiral on the screw and stay in in tire very well given the right length is used.
I would pick up a 1000 if you are going to do it or a bit more (depending on tire size and tread pattern ) (1200)maybe,especially with hexes.A bag of a 1000 cold cutters or whatever brand you can get is around 100.00us
My Itp 22x11x10 would take about an hour to stud each,the fronts maybe a 1/2 hour each.