Author Topic: FL350 rear long travel  (Read 17291 times)

jonnyd350

• View Profile
FL350 rear long travel
« on: February 03, 2007, 02:25:45 AM »
any word on a 350 rear suspension conversion?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: FL350 rear long travel
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 09:29:46 AM »
The front is what really sucks on an FL350. Some people worry that getting the front long travel, the machine will behave odd and that they will NEED the rear. That is not the case and people who have purchased the front love the way the machine handles. I will be building two different rear kits in order to handle even bigger jumps, but you do not need it for trail riding. Hoodlum doesn't feel he needs any more travel than the little extra the Works shocks gave him. You certainly do not need to do the front and rear at the same time.

The first rear kit I will do will give 8" while using many stock components including axles. Stock travel is 5", Works shocks give 6". The setup will also use stock replacement Works shocks which many people already own. I want to keep the price down. I think this one will sell well as it will improve handling and not be that expensive.

The second kit will give 12-13" of travel replacing the entire suspension, axles, carriers, hubs,... and keep the width under 60".

I won't be working on the rear kits though until I can clear out some of the items already started like the rear bumpers and stock offset beadlocks.

TDorwart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:25:38 AM »
Any word on the rear kits?  I would def be interested in either one of those that you mentioned

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
I have not worked on the kit. The down turn in the economy prevented people from buying big dollar items. Things are picking up now and the stock rear axles are discontinued. With the discontinuation of the axles, I won't make a kit based around them. I am looking at starting work on the other kit again because axles are no longer available. If someone has a bad axle, they may consider going long travel. Those with good stock axles can sell them keeping more machines going.

Do you have the long travel front?

TDorwart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:04:33 AM »
I do not at this time but plan on purchasing within the next few months.  I want to see what options there are for a rear long travel as well.  I haven't seen anything for a rear set up.  I would def be interested!

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
The rear is not required to install the front because a large amount of the additional travel is droop. The front end is raised about 4" which gets rid of the nose down stance and chance to a slightly nose up stance typical of off road race buggies. The remaining additional travel is seen when you get air born. Works shocks in the rear add about 1" of travel and is all droop, ride height is about the same. It is preferable to have the front track width slightly wider than the rear. With stock wheels, the machine ends up at 59" wide in the front, 58" in the rear. So 1/2" per side wider in front.

Only one of the machine pictured here with the long travel front have longer travel in the rear besides Works shocks: http://aftershockmotorsports.com/Photo-Gallery

TDorwart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »
Do you know if there is anything aftermarket suspension set ups to purchase other than the works shocks for the rear?  Even with the works giving me about 6" of travel I would like to see it closer to 12".  Just planning my build.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
Other than Aftershock Motorsports, I do not know of anyone making any long travel suspension setup for the FL350. I have a pair of long travel rear axles made up that I would sell if someone wanted to make a one off setup. They are 2000 Drakart Formula Cross axles with the inner CV joint replaced with an FL350 inner joint to mount up to the trans. The outside would then use the the bearing carriers and hubs from the Formula Cross which I also have. They are a slip joint axle which allows the use of a separate lower suspension link instead of using the axle as the link. That means far less stress on the remaining U-joint.

TDorwart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »
http://aftershockmotorsports.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_20

Is there a diff between the long travel shocks G series and the Front shock G-series?  They are the same price but on the Fronts you can order with res but cant on the long travel?  I do not see any part numbers to compare the two.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
They are different shocks. One has about 2.5" travel and the other has about 6" travel. The res are available on the long travel shocks. The option needs to be added to the listing.

The reason they are the same price is just the way Works sells them. The AT Steelers are a less expensive base shock and everything is an option. The G-Series are a higher priced base, but include many things standard including triple rate springs. The shocks for the stock arms are dual rate because they are too short for triple rate.

TDorwart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 11:42:55 AM »
Sounds great.  The long travel is def on my shopping list.  Just want the resi's and the adjustability.  Thank you

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:02:03 PM »
I prefer the G-series even on the rear. On the long travel, the gain is even more significant. They go from dual rate to triple rate, O-ring sealed spherical rod ends and more travel possible with the 5/8" shafts.

b s

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
any thing ever come of this?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
The rear long travel got dropped low on priority because there was little demand from those who had the front long travel. It will likely come back mainly due to the discontinuation of the stock axles. It won't cost any more to make long travel axles than a stock replacement, so might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 01:34:41 AM »
Great can't wait!