Author Topic: radiator hose  (Read 1955 times)

rocketman

• View Profile
radiator hose
« on: January 09, 2005, 09:29:04 PM »
The rocketship has a cracked radiator hose - right at the fitting to the water pump.  This Pilot has a relocated radiator.  I need to buy new hose but need to buy something really tough since it is right above my head.  How/where can I get other than standard radiator hose?  Moskito -all the hose that is on it is blue.  Is that a special type?  Where did you get that originally?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
radiator hose
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 10:12:33 PM »
I don't see why regular heater hose wouldn't work. The pilot cooling system has a 14 psi cap on it, and most automotive applications are similar to that. Now if you are into looking fancy or are worried if the hose will function in more than one axis then the high dollar may be more appropriate for you. I'm not 100% sure, but I think 5/8" hose is what I used; its about 89 cents per foot.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Re: radiator hose
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 06:52:45 AM »
Quote from: "rocketman"
How/where can I get other than standard radiator hose?  Moskito -all the hose that is on it is blue.  Is that a special type?  Where did you get that originally?

You're in the heart of race country!  Should be an easy find for you locally.

The hose came from Pegasus Racing - http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/

Not exactly sure what catagory I found it under, though.  If you can't find it on the internet site, let me know and I'll dig through my catalogs and see if I can find it for you there.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

redrider

• View Profile
No sense of a real fix
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 09:23:53 AM »
I tried to tell him that chewing gum and duct tape would handle this situation just fine.  But, you know how those engineering types are, he just has to find a hose that he can get specifications on and run the numbers through some program to determine the exact heat and pressure that will compromise the integrity of the hose.  All of this because he's worried his little head might get burneded when the rocketturdships radiator explodes from his excessive operation of said vehicle.

rocketman

• View Profile
radiator hose
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 09:44:27 AM »
Well skeeter I took your suggestion and was able to find the hose at one of the racing shops near here.  It is a different hose - braided with a BLUE outer sheath. Blue seems to be a popular color for the high tech hoses.  I quess it works with the color scheme under the hood for the hotrods.  

I think I need to engineer Redrooters radiator hose with my pocketknife.   Just the right amount of weakening at the right location should be undectable - it will certainly never overheat due to "excessive operation of said vehicle."

redrider

• View Profile
Re: radiator hose
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 10:20:58 AM »
Quote from: "rocketman"
Just the right amount of weakening at the right location should be undectable

I guess when I figure out what "undectable" is I'll now what you have planned.