Author Topic: help  (Read 3936 times)

97 silverbullet

help
« on: November 15, 2004, 07:28:15 PM »
how much oil should go in to the engine, and how does the oil get into the crank case, is there a drain plug, i've ripped the engine down un froze it and put it back but i must have put too much oil in the crank case cause there is oil on top of the piston, I have never really delt with engines like this and I just need some help to get it running. also i need to know where the hoses on the carb connect to, each one specifically, I've looked at the manuals and have gotten no info specifically on them.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 07:23:08 AM »
Okay, first off, what vehicle/engine are we talking about?
FL250?
FL350?
Pilot?

You realize that these are TWO STROKE engines - you DO NOT add oil to the bottom end of the engine like you do a FOUR Stroke.

They do use regular motor oil for other parts of the engine and have fill/drain areas for them, but as far as the crank/piston assembly, it's not something you pour oil into the engine to lubricate.

That lubrication is through oil that you add to the gasoline - premix.

You must mix your gas with a QUALITY grade two stroke oil - most people prefer Spectro, Yamalube R, Honda's two stroke oil, Maxima, Klotz - BRAND NAMES  and NOT crap you get a Wally World or K-Mart.

Mix the oil at a ratio of 32:1   This means 32 parts of gasoline to one part of oil.   Simplest way to achieve this is to add 16 ounces of oil to 4 gallons of fuel.  You can also run 40:1 by adding 16 oz oil to 5 gallons fuel.

A normally running two stroke engine will produce a small amount of crud on the top of the piston - it's alright.

Give us a bit more info and we'll get you going.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

97 silverbullet

help
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 08:20:02 AM »
its a 250

97 silverbullet

help
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 08:20:50 AM »
im new to 2 stroke.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
help
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 09:19:40 AM »
No problem.   Kinda figured that after the post.

Two strokes are a totally different animal.

Very simplistic in operation, but they can be very frustrating to learn and get working.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the 250s specifically.  Engine wise, it's a two banger, so the basic theory of how it works is the same as all the others, so we can get it going for you, no prob.

Start here:  http://www.macdizzy.com/2stroke.htm

There are many here who know the 250 well - I'd be asking Pilothawk your specific questions concerning oil in the cases, carb lines and such.

He as a couple tech articles in his pages:  http://www.g2-innovations.com/  Maybe you'll find what your looking for in there.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

97 silverbullet

help
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 06:31:38 PM »
on the g2-intovations page I see there is  two sparkplugs instead of one, now mine only has one, and there is a place for it, do I need to put two on or is one sufficiant.  Ok when you put the motor back together is there anything you should put in the crank case or clean it I had to rip it apart to unfreeze it. should I just clean the inside and put it back together and then hook it up, I still need to know where the hoses go that are on the carb, where do they connect to from the carb? When the odyssey was given to me they were disconncected.

97 silverbullet

help
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 09:12:03 PM »
i dont think I have spark either, I pulled the spark plug and hooked up the wire to it and pulled the pull start and I didn't see any spark.

tsutton44

help
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 01:12:23 PM »
what year of fl250 ? do you know ?points or cdi ignition ?Do not worry about a secondary spark plug,one is all that is nessecary.Allways carry a spare though in a tool box or whatever.As far as spark at the plug goes,make sure all the wiring and GROUNDS are hooked up correctly and getting contact with the frame and that includes the ign.switch ground.If still no spark unscrew the boot (counter clockwise)from the plug wire and look to see if the wire is coming in contact with the boot stud,if your in doubt then cut the wire back 1/4 to 1/2" and rinstall the boot and try it again.The ENGINE OIL,the fl250's do not have any oil in them except premix!The only thing that reqiures oil on the fl250's is in the transmission besides the moving parts that need grease or oil periodically.Allmost all of the tubes or hoses that come off the carb are vents with the exception of one that goes back to the tank after the fuel tee-valve and the pulse line that goes to the fuel pump off the motor.Run the vent hoses down so they can drain if need be and keep them clean so they dont plug up.MAKE sure the bottom end is very clean before you put the piston and cylinder back together,one small chard of metal and your new piston and bore will bite you when you least exspect it.

97 silverbullet

help
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 10:25:23 PM »
the 250 is the early 80s